Pantherz

New worldwide income tax proposed for residents in Thailand

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2805305/new-overseas-income-rules-proposed

If this policy is implemented, living in Thailand could become very unattractive for expats. They are now considering taxing not only income brought into Thailand from abroad but also income earned abroad that is not brought into Thailand. 

In practical terms, this may be difficult to enforce. However, it is not a positive development, in my opinion.

Dear Pantherz,

I totally agree with your assessment.

I also found this recent iteration of the proposed tax revenue collection ideas as absurd.

Back in 2020 and 2021, when I was studying where do I want to retire in 2022, the positive tax climate that Thailand had was a BIG reason as to why I chose Thailand.

Now with these new tax proposals - Thailand is becoming less appealing - as being a USA citizen, we already suffer from Citizen Based Taxation - which is already global. So to add Thailand to this list would just be too excessive in my opinion.

So, I have started to research possible ideas on how to mitigate this - by finding ways to not be a tax resident in Thailand by dividing my residence between:

• 4 months in Thailand,
  • 4 months in Da Nang, Vietnam,
  • 4 months in either Penang, Malaysia or in The Philippines - I have not yet been to either so I will work towards exploring these 2 areas before the 2025 tax year.

Any other ideas to consider?

3 minutes ago, bkkmfj2648 said:
  • 4 months in Thailand,
  • 4 months in Da Nang, Vietnam,
  • 4 months in either Penang, Malaysia or in The Philippines - I have not yet been to either so I will work towards exploring these 2 areas before the 2025 tax year.

All good options. In most cases, as long as you stay in the country for less than 180 or 183 days per year, you avoid being classified as a tax resident. You could also consider some time in Bali and Taipei?

On 6/6/2024 at 10:12 AM, bkkmfj2648 said:

- as being a USA citizen, we already suffer from Citizen Based Taxation - which is already global.

Fair . Being citizen and thus subject of protection by most powerful nation on Earth  should have it's price

As I mentioned earlier, I have a friend in Bangkok, who was a tax lawyer in NY. He says that the double taxation treaties should kick in. He personally has  a 'wealthy foreigner ' visa, which means he is not subject to these proposals. He says it's much cheaper than the elite visa.