Olddaddy

Do you rent a scooter

I know some of you are only on short trips or stay in Bangkok 

But...I must ask do any of you still rent a bike when travelling?

I can't drive a 🛵 scooter unfortunately so spend on Grab 

Good news. You will live longer and be able to walk. Even I, merely a visitor, know two people who  were killed on motor-cys, one in Pattaya, the other in a rural area outside Nakon Sawan.

Which reminds me; increasing age means that I can no longer swing my leg over a motor-cy seat (avoid the UK joke about leg-overs, please)....and so I too will live longer. At a cost of 200 bht per taxi trip  as opposed to 40bht  on a motor-cy. And worth every baht.

4 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

.I must ask do any of you still rent a bike

In preparation for my 12 day trip to Da Nang last month (April) to escape the bazooka water fights here in Pattaya during Songkran - I had 10 motorbike driving lessons from one of my Thai volleyball friends teach me how to ride a motorbike.  So far, to date, I have only fallen down 1 time and that was on a narrow mountainous road on Koh Larn as the wind started to blow my hat off and I let go of the motorbike handlebar (a big no no) and I went off of the side of the narrow road and fell down.  It was all in slow motion and no damage to the motorbike and I had thought that no damage to me --> until 10 days ago when I started a new gym training program (after 10 years of not working out) and the arm that took the blunt force when I fell on Koh Larn is now sensitive during any workout that involves arms.

I can drive my rental motorbike here in Jomtien, Dongtan beach, Pratumnak, and on Koh Larn and feel quite comfortable.  However, I am still to afraid to venture into Pattaya city - as the traffic is too intense.  One day soon I hope to make the leap - especially as it is now low season with less tourists, traffic, and those gigantic tourist busses.