reader

Tawan is The One

What some of us might feel we witnessed a great show, others might think it was lackluster. Much depends on what we individually wish to see on stage.

”Good” and “bad” are too subjective. I’d be more attentive to the description of performers and types of acts in the show.

• Members

My second night in Bangkok after an absence of five and a half years. Did an early bar crawl of all the usual haunts and found things very quiet and dispiriting. Very dull with few boys and even fewer customers. 

I visited this new bar The One at about 10 and the boys were wearing singlets and shorts. I spoke to one “ boy” I first met at the old Future Boys bar in December 2000 who took up bodybuilding and became one of the  “stars” of the Tawan. He remembered me. He is still handsome with a great body which is more than can be said of the others on display tonight. The scene in Bangkok is a sad travesty of what it was in days of old.

12 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

My second night in Bangkok after an absence of five and a half years. Did an early bar crawl of all the usual haunts and found things very quiet and dispiriting. Very dull with few boys and even fewer customers. 

This is disturbing considering that there was a large turnout in the gay pride parade.

My sources (massage boys from Soi 6) assure me that they were in evidence last night.

As I enjoyed a beer at a bar in Surawong about 11p.m., two adjacent tables were full of young and attractive foreigners who had just arrived.

Gays, particularly the younger ones, are not confining themselves to just the traditional gay bar haunts. They going wherever it suits them.

7 minutes ago, reader said:

My sources (massage boys from Soi 6) assure me that they were in evidence last night.

As I enjoyed a beer at a bar in Surawong about 11p.m., two adjacent tables were full of young and attractive foreigners who had just arrived.

Gays, particularly the younger ones, are not confining themselves to just the traditional gay bar haunts. They going wherever it suits them.

I saw groups of big Asian guys heading to Soi 4 at 11pm. I believe they were going to Beef.

I assume @sydneyboy1 was referring mostly to gogo bars when he wrote "bar crawl of all the usual haunts" and finding them "very quiet and dispiriting".

When I triangulate his report with those of others - more positive sounding - the picture I get is that the gogo bars are their own worst enemies unable to attract customers despite increased foreigner traffic into the country. Now, why am I not surprised?

• Members
28 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

I assume @sydneyboy1 was referring mostly to gogo bars when he wrote "bar crawl of all the usual haunts" and finding them "very quiet and dispiriting".

When I triangulate his report with those of others - more positive sounding - the picture I get is that the gogo bars are their own worst enemies unable to attract customers despite increased foreigner traffic into the country. Now, why am I not surprised?

You’re right I was talking about gogo bars. Last night they were as dead as Julius Caesar.

33 minutes ago, sydneyboy1 said:

You’re right I was talking about gogo bars. Last night they were as dead as Julius Caesar.

It is surprising  that the bar owners cannot change their tired routines to attract more business, perhaps they are restricted by the BIB?

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I have also spoken about the need for more exclusive male environments (as opposed to one with screaming girls in the audience) though such a suggestion makes @reader go apoplectic about discrimination.

Gays have been discriminated against so why should we ourselves discriminate against others based on sex.. That’s hardly an apoplectic response, Macaroni. In the case of some of Bangkok’s more successful show bars (Jupiter and Dreamboy to name a few) it’s the female baht that also buys the drinks and pays the offs to enable owners to keep the shows alive. It’s not 1996 and things have evolved whether we like it or not. 

• Members

I ventured out again last night. The One can only be described as tragic. Overweight, heavily tattooed “boys” who looked bored out of their brain. At least I wasn’t only customer, there were about 4 or 5 others present.

At least some of bars I visited were better than the previous night with a number of boys on offer and quite a few customers. I will be out on the town again tonight.

9 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

You could be on to something - Thai ways can be a total mystery to us outsiders.

That said, to a western mind that relies on this strange thing called logic, I can't imagine what boundaries are left to be imposed by the cops. After all, the gogo bars already have full on f**king acts on stage, plus the conjoined couple then circulate among the audience, often with one partner on a customer's lap while the other partner pounds away.

As @bkkmfj2648 mentioned a few days ago in this same thread, a good bar "creates customer participation in the bar and can allow for you to get up close and personal with the bar staff". I have long spoken about the need for smaller, more intimate environments, options for lap dancing in private booths (or at least curtained-off corners) and more joke-y performances that either pull members of the audience onto the stage or the performer(s) go down to a lucky customer. I have also spoken about the need for more exclusive male environments (as opposed to one with screaming girls in the audience) though such a suggestion makes @reader go apoplectic about discrimination.

Instead, these bars think they ought to copy the success of Tiffany or Alcazar (and badly) or Fake Club. They don't for a moment realise that their could-be-loyal audience is completely different. Then when customer numbers fall, they raise their prices to make up. And wonder why customer numbers fall further. OK, the last bit about prices can be traced to the need for the police superintendent's wife to acquire jewellery.

I thought that none of the gay go go bars had fucking shows any more? Maybe one in Pattaya.  I also thought this was a BIB issue, as girly bars still go all the way, I believe?

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

I thought that none of the gay go go bars had fucking shows any more? Maybe one in Pattaya.  I also thought this was a BIB issue, as girly bars still go all the way, I believe?

When I visited Bangkok last year April 2023, Tawan still had fucking shows almost every other night where they go around the audience with their tip box while going at it. I'm not sure about other go go bars though.

My trip this year May 2024, I didn't see any fucking shows at all in any of the bars I've visited (Hotmale, Goodboys, and Dreamboys) so sad 😢.

1 hour ago, jamiebee said:

When I visited Bangkok last year April 2023, Tawan still had fucking shows almost every other night where they go around the audience with their tip box while going at it. I'm not sure about other go go bars though.

My trip this year May 2024, I didn't see any fucking shows at all in any of the bars I've visited (Hotmale, Goodboys, and Dreamboys) so sad 😢.

Thanks. As I thought!