bkkmfj2648

Pride 2024 Pattaya (2 parades)

Dear all,

I see that Reader has kindly posted 2024 Pride information for Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

I wanted to post about what is happening in Pattaya - and it was difficult to gather the information as most of it is only in Thai  -> even though the Pattaya government wants tourists to participate but no information is posted in English - duh!!  But my wonderful Thai friend, Sun, was able to help me gather the appropriate information for an article in English.

Furthermore, I learned that Thailand is competing to host the 2030 World Pride event which would be truly amazing.

I participated in the year 2000 World Pride event in Rome and it was outstanding, as they say that around 1 million people participated, with the Vatican throwing every obstacle in our way to have this event cancelled, as it was in direct competition with their year 2000 sacred Jubilee event.

So, it seems that Pattaya will have 2 distinct Gay Pride events as follows:

8 June 2024 There will be a parade, "Pattaya Community Pride", that starts at 4pm from the Colosseum theatre on Thepprasit road and they will march all the way down to the Dongtan curve (where the Jomtien Beach road starts and the Dongtan beach road finishes - police box on one corner and 7-eleven on the other corner).  Then there will be festivities all night in the Jomtien Supertown Complex - with the center of activities being in front of The Venue Cabaret and Hotel.  I believe that this specific gay pride event is being sponsored by SWING and various Supertown bar owners.

Pattaya_Community_Pride_2024_8_June.jpg.2db9594ab51bd49e11de51b7237f177a.jpg

The second Gay Pride parade "Pride for All" will take place on 22 June 2024 in front of the Central Festival mall on Beach Road in Pattaya city. It is supposed to start in the late afternoon from the Terminal 21 shopping mall and then loop down onto Beach Road - terminating at the Central Festival mall with a stated slotted time from 6pm until 8pm.

It is being sponsored by Central Pattana - the owner of the Central malls that are all over Thailand.

Pride_for_All_2024_22_June.thumb.jpg.7849c1b142b6a4162d9515ef1c23b6e9.jpg

Pattaya_International_Pride_Festival_2024.jpg.67508019c78392275b325f0cf50b669e.jpg

From Pattaya News

Central  Pattaya shopping center is preparing to host the “Pattaya International Pride Festival 2024,” with this year’s edition promising to be the biggest.

The “Pride For All” themed festival will take place from June 21st to 23rd, 2024, at Central Pattaya. The highlight of the festival is the Pride Parade, which will be held on June 22nd at 4:00 PM.

The parade will snake its way along Pattaya Beach, featuring over 5,000 participants from more than 100 LGBTQ+ organizations, allies, and even celebrities. Registration for those interested in walking in the parade will be open from noon to 3:00 PM on the same day at Central Marina.

Following the parade, festivities will shift to the Central  PattayaBeach Stage for a night filled with live music and entertainment. Attendees can expect performances by popular Thai singers such as Prang Prangthip and Praeja Yanwannathan, alongside DJ sets and special shows.

4 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

Yesterday, 22 June 2024 was the Pattaya International Pride Festival 2024, with the theme "Pride for All".

I have to say that I was VERY impressed and I apologize for my previous reporting, as I had implied that there may have been some "bad water" that caused Pattaya to have 2 distinct parade celebrations.

After having experienced both parades and seeing how and why they were presented, it was very obvious that one event is subordinate to the other - which I had misunderstood because the Jomtien / Dongtan pride event, Pattaya Community Event, went before the much bigger Pride for All event that was held today.  My bad, as I am still a newly retired person here and as a farang it is very difficult to understand everything.

I also had the naïve belief that for today's parade, that Boyztown, should be the lead event.  Instead, it was of minor importance, as Boyztown only had one single float out of perhaps 30 floats ?? that were in the parade, which consisted of the Castro Cabaret Show and Panorama - with their float labeled as:  Boyztown Pattaya.

Today's "Pride for All" event goes WAY beyond Boyztown, as it had MAJOR representation from almost all of the important Pattaya businesses, from the local hospitals, big name stores (Pattana and Central Festival), important social and political clubs, restaurants, government institutions, and what surprised me the most was the dedication of 2 floats sponsored by 2 of the most important bar complexes in soi Buakhao, LK Metro and Treetown - which are the primary heterosexual entertainment centers in Pattaya.

Compared to the 2 weeks prior Jomtien parade, this parade was massive.

Since the Thai government has solicited to host the 2030 World Gay Pride event in Thailand - and after seeing today's PRIDE event - I can see that Thailand will be an excellent host for this prestigious event.

The parade route was from the Central Marina shopping mall, past the Terminal 21 shopping mall (which was decked out with giant pride flag decorations), and then down Beach road terminating at the Central Festival shopping mall.

Pattaya_city_Pride_for_All_parade_route.jpg.5e7fc333be1bbf7bdc6c5cf2bc7c0320.jpg

I joined the parade just as it was leaving the Central Marina mall area and I walked with it until about mid way on Beach road to finally be able to sit down and enjoy an iced capuccino frappe and to watch the rest of the parade pass.  One of my Thai friends joined me there and then after the parade terminated we went over to Central Festival to eat dinner and then to watch the night performances of many important drag queens, famous Thai TV stars, and other wonderful performers.

--> please note that the below photos were taken from the Central Pattaya facebook page, as they were of much higher quality than my more simple photos 

https://www.facebook.com/CentralPattayaBeach

Starting point within the Central Marina mall

Central_Marina_where_it_started.thumb.jpg.188d2ba2fa807960018712f71226c33d.jpg

Gay Pride flag along Beach road

Gay_Pride_flag_beach_road.thumb.jpg.37d467a1011093a64dbccdbe8774d3c0.jpg

More of the crowd on Beach road

Beach_road_parade_photo.thumb.jpg.4cc73a88f315d057fc8c1840278c690c.jpg

Great to see the Thai Prime Minister, Srettha Thavisin, alongside with the Pattaya Mayor, Poramet Ngampichet together at the parade.

Prime_Minister_with_Pattaya_Mayor_at_end_of_parade_Central_Festival.thumb.jpg.6e685b85feb7d303b1c14689eee7201a.jpg

ok, that is all for now - I may post some more pictures / videos tomorrow.

Indeed, I cant see General Prayut attending!