Guest fountainhall

Oops, Sorry Your Holiness - We Goofed!

Guest fountainhall

How about it guys? When the Pope visits Britain in a few months, let's mark it with the launch a new brand of condoms - Benedict condoms. Or how about his blessing a gay marriage? No? Well, maybe his opening an abortion clinic could be appropriate? Or sacking some "dodgy bishops" and launching a child abuse helpline?

Come on! What else can we get him to do? Oh, I know. A formal apology for the Spanish Armada (sent to invade Elizabeth I's Britain in 1588), or perhaps a nice little sing-song with the Queen to raise money for charity.

This may sound like something out of a late night satirical show. In fact, the brainstorming suggestions for an "ideal" visit by the Pope to Britain's shores are contained in a "Please protect" document drawn up by Junior Officers at Britain's stuffy Foreign Office. It was then leaked and has caused considerable controversy.

A Foreign Office spokesman said the department was "deeply sorry" for any offence the document had caused.

"This is clearly a foolish document that does not in any way reflect UK government or Foreign Office policy or views. Many of the ideas in the document are clearly ill-judged, naive and disrespectful," he said. "The text was not cleared or shown to ministers or senior officials before circulation. As soon as senior officials became aware of the document, it was withdrawn from circulation.

"The individual responsible has been transferred to other duties. He has been told orally and in writing that this was a serious error of judgement and has accepted this view."

The Pope has made no comment :o

More at -

BBC News - Foreign Office apologises for Pope 'condom' memo

Guest GaySacGuy

I think that an appropriate gift for the pope would be bracelets...specifically HANDCUFFS and an ARREST WARRANT. Seems fair to me!!

Guest xiandarkthorne

I agree. At the very least, Ratty Ratzi should be asked some telling questions about the child abuses he covered up 'under orders' - probably for his ex-boss, Johnny P P.