TotallyOz

Cost of a Taxi from Airport to Pattaya

The AOT asked for 3,000 baht. I passed. The regular taxis were charging 1500 baht. I knew I should have arranged a taxi before but I didn't and there were no men waiting there trying to coax me into a car.

When I saw the car I cringed. It was horrible. Old, ugly, beaten up and not clean. I did not want to offend the man and say his taxi was a piece of shit so I got in.

MISTAKE

When you don't like something, NEVER get in.

The air con was bad and the car bumped up and down the whole way.

At the first toll he told me he had no money and could I give him 100 baht to pay for the tolls and take out of money for the ride. I agreed (what choice did I have).

About 30 minutes later, he asked to stop for gas and I agreed. Again, guess what? No money for gas and could he borrow 800 baht. What choice did I have.

He took an awful road into Pattaya to save a few baht from tolls and I was pissed.

I could not wait to get to Pattaya. I did tip him 50 baht but that is the least I have ever tipped a driver.

And, I learned a valuable lesson. Have my guys I use in Bangkok meet me there from now on. Never again will I be unprepared.

Anyone else have any taxi horror stories?

I'm horrified by the fact that some remove the seatbelts from the rear of their taxis & at the same time the driver is actually wearing his.

So if we have a 20 mph accident that I should walk away from, the most likely scenario is head first through the windscreen.

My experiences were mainly positive, exept some that didn't want to use the meter, I just went on to the next (short trips in Bkk).

I went from Pattaya to Bkk airport and booked two days in advance (as is suggested by the taxi-booking-stalls on the street). Later, I remembered what I read (and experienced) about Thai puncutality and thought I should have booked it earlier to leave enough time. But when I left hotel 15min before the booked leaving time he was already there. As far as I remember the whole trip was 1100Baht, 600Baht had to be paid in advance (when I made the booking). I think I will go by bus next time. Is considerably cheaper and doesn't take much longer.

If I remember correctly, 800~900 baht was frequently displayed as the price outside many agencies in Pattaya. Lek travel seem competent and their taxis turn up on time on both occasions I uses them (same soi as Happy Boys, nearer to the beach).

There are reasonable bus services from BKK airport to Pattaya. I have used them after flying in from Chiang Mai, but would go for a quicker taxi after a long haul flight.

Guest mlomker

The mini-buses are amazingly cheap, like 100 baht. A boy and I went into Bangkok for some Songkran fun. I guess that farang don't often travel that way since I was a topic of conversation on the bus. The catch for me is that my flights are always coming or going between Midnight and 5a, making those buses impossible.

I went with pattaya4leisure last time...they were punctual and the cars were nice for 1200 baht. My guys have told me to not tip taxis, so I don't.

Guest cdnmatt

No horror stories from Thailand. Just one time in Mexico, where the taxi driver decided to visit some friends instead of taking me where I wanted to go. Along with his friends for backup, he then helped me relieve the ATM a little.

Guest Kurt

Normally we just changed the plane at BKK-airport and now in November we will go

the first time by taxi to Jomtien (we will arrive 7 a.m.) are there at the exit

taxis waiting and have they fixed prices or meters? Thank you in advance <Kurt

Guest kcampb49

About a year ago I discovered a great taxi service based in Pattaya, Kom's Cars & Guide Service, komtaxi@hotmail.com or 081-665-7664. He has four cars, all spotlessly clean Toyota Camry's and the drivers all speak English. You can reserve a car via email and you pay the driver, nothing "up front."

He charges 1500 Baht to pick you up at Suvarnabhumi Airport and take you to Pattaya or 1300 one-way from Pattaya to the airport (all tolls included). The drivers also drive at a reasonable speed. If you want to hire them locally, the first hour is 200 Baht and then 100 Baht per hour after (all of these prices as of the last time I used their service in April).

When I arrive in BKK at 1:00 am after 22 hours flying or in airports traveling from the USA, I'm thrilled to have one of these guys waiting for me.

I posted this information on another board some months ago and a few people tried them and all had very positive reports.

Guest Kurt

About a year ago I discovered a great taxi service based in Pattaya, Kom's Cars & Guide Service, komtaxi@hotmail.com or 081-665-7664. He has four cars, all spotlessly clean Toyota Camry's and the drivers all speak English. You can reserve a car via email and you pay the driver, nothing "up front."

He charges 1500 Baht to pick you up at Suvarnabhumi Airport and take you to Pattaya or 1300 one-way from Pattaya to the airport (all tolls included). The drivers also drive at a reasonable speed. If you want to hire them locally, the first hour is 200 Baht and then 100 Baht per hour after (all of these prices as of the last time I used their service in April).

When I arrive in BKK at 1:00 am after 22 hours flying or in airports traveling from the USA, I'm thrilled to have one of these guys waiting for me.

I posted this information on another board some months ago and a few people tried them and all had very positive reports.

Thank you very much for this tip, we will try this service too :excl: <greetings Kurt

Guest Astrrro

Interesting pricing as the local rate is extremely reasonable while the airport rate is quite high.

Guest tdperhs

An airport police woman once warned me, "If you ever get into a taxi, especially one that serves the airport, memorize the taxi's number."

Guest kcampb49

Interesting pricing as the local rate is extremely reasonable while the airport rate is quite high.

The cost is not "quite high" in my experience or from what I have read. Folks here have said it costs 1500 Baht to hire a taxi directly at the airport to drive you to Pattaya (I've never done it). 1300 is a competitive price from Pattaya for a larger car that includes all tolls and with an English speaking driver. Of course, you can always hire a "taxi meter" in Pattaya for 800 Baht + tolls, but that is a different level of quality/service.

Whatever happened to Phon and Gem's car service? I lost their number but also haven't used them in a long time. Are they still in business? Doing well?

I have used the car service tent outside the Royal Garden area many times and happy with them. The owner has a little Umbrella at the entrance to Royal Garden with a few books. His cars are nice (for the most part) and we have always gotten good rates from him.

Guest fountainhall

On the few occasions I travel from Pattaya to Bangkok, I usually use Mr. Toom's car service. It has always been very efficient with nice drivers and good rates. On the last trip at the beginning of the year, it was Bt. 1,200 door to door. I cannot recall if it was quoted as inclusive of tolls (I think it was), but I thought the rate so reasonable I just paid them anyway. If anyone's interested, his number is 081 482 7148

Guest FanOfThailand

A couple of months ago I used The Limo Pattaya from the airport to the hotel in Pattaya. Very good service and nice car. The driver spoke very good english. The price was 1200b and included tolls as their website explains. I made the reservation online and was met at the gate as promised.

I will be using them again if I can't use Bell Travel.

I don't know if i'm posting the web site correctly so I hope this works:

THE LIMO PATTAYA. Your call. Your comfort. Your choice @ Your budget.

Guest beachlover

No horror stories from Thailand. Just one time in Mexico, where the taxi driver decided to visit some friends instead of taking me where I wanted to go. Along with his friends for backup, he then helped me relieve the ATM a little.

Damn! That sucks.

Guest beachlover

I grabbed a meter taxi to Hua Hin once... screaming down the highway at 140kms... the only thing stopping him from speeding even faster was the insane rattling from the roof warning it might fly off any moment. On the way back I was in a big Mercedes and felt much safer!

Guest Astrrro

I will be using them again if I can't use Bell Travel.

On alternate hours from the Bell bus is the Jomtien Bus which also stops on Sukhumvit/Pattaya Kland and Sukhumvit/Pattaya Tai. Last bus from the airport is 9PM.

124 baht so good for budget conscious expats.