Guest RichLB

Health Care Bill Question for Political Pundits

Guest RichLB

Ok, Obama's Health Care Bill (or significant parts of it) is about to pass into law in the US. My question for the political savvy folks here, is does this change have any effect on expats or those who spend considerable time ovrseas? I assume Medicare still does not cover us, but is anything good for us going to come about because of this?

Guest lvdkeyes

From what I understand (which isn't much) the people who will benefit are those without any health insurance because their employer doesn't offer it or they are unemployed. Medicare age people will not be affected whether or not they are in the US.

Guest GaySacGuy

Ok, Obama's Health Care Bill (or significant parts of it) is about to pass into law in the US. My question for the political savvy folks here, is does this change have any effect on expats or those who spend considerable time ovrseas? I assume Medicare still does not cover us, but is anything good for us going to come about because of this?

I understand that for those on Medicare it will close the "doughnut hole" for perscriptions, which could save some a lot of money. Also under Medicare, you will be eligilbe for three wellness visits/check-ups per year, so even it you live in Thailand you could take advantage of this if you visit the US.

Other than these and some changes for kids, most of the bill doesn't go into effect until 2014, so there is a lot of time for changes to be make.