Guest fountainhall

Fashion Designer Alexander McQueen Dead at 40

Guest fountainhall

Just heard that Alexander McQueen, one of the enfants terrible of the fashion world who was also head designer for 5 years at the celebrated fashion house Givenchy, was found dead in London last night, apparently of suicide.

There have been several threads on this Board which have discussed depression - usually in relation to the "flying farangs", a title which has raised the ire of some posters. I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding McQueen's death, other than that his mother had died about a week ago and her funeral was scheduled for today (12th). It was also known that the designer was under intense pressure finalising designs for the fashion weeks due to be held soon in Paris and Milan.

In his designs, he seems to have been fascinated by the macabre. He was also deeply affected by the suicide of a long-time close friend 3 years ago. Whether that can be interpreted to imply he suffered from long-term depression (which I believe is termed 'clinical depression') or a series of 'downs' resulting from tragic circumstances, I also have no idea. But, as with all suicides, it is tragic for his family and friends, and a sad day for the world of fashion.

Openly gay, McQueen once said "I went straight from my mother's womb onto the gay parade". RIP.