Guest fountainhall

Who's Under That Veil?

Guest fountainhall

This from the BBC's website -

An Arab country's ambassador to Dubai has had his marriage contract annulled after discovering the bride was cross-eyed and had facial hair. The woman had worn an Islamic veil, known as the niqab, on the few occasions the couple had met.

The envoy, who has not been identified, told a Sharia court her mother had tricked him by showing him pictures of the bride's sister, Gulf News reported. He only discovered the deception when he lifted the woman's veil to kiss her.

Guest fountainhall

Or being unable to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Then again, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink! And you certainly can't judge a book by its cover. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, did you know that Pig in a Poke is a well-known award-winning UK wine? Probably not, since UK wines are hardly known even in the UK!

Incidentally, did you know that Pig in a Poke is a well-known award-winning UK wine? Probably not, since UK wines are hardly known even in the UK!

Can't say I've come across that one, but unless that name for a wine is unique, maybe wine producers in Britain are starting to copy our micro-brewers who for a few years now have taken great delight in naming their beers in idiosyncratic fashion. In particular the strong ones! Names such as Skull Splitter, Wobbly Bob, Oblivion, Solstice Blinder, Mad Monk, Moonraker, and (my favourite) Last Rites an 11% alcohol barley wine as strong as some wines. Seems a most appropriate discussion here in the Beer Bar.

Guest fountainhall

maybe wine producers in Britain are starting to copy our micro-brewers who for a few years now have taken great delight in naming their beers in idiosyncratic fashion. In particular the strong ones! Names such as Skull Splitter, Wobbly Bob, Oblivion, Solstice Blinder, Mad Monk, Moonraker, and (my favourite) Last Rites an 11% alcohol barley wine as strong as some wines

I wonder if any have the name Dick in the title! A friend from Hong Kong with that name retired to Phuket last year and was planning to open a pub named "Dick's Last Stand".

I wonder if any have the name Dick in the title!

Dick Turpin - named after an infamous highwayman

Dickie Doodle - I think the American-sounding name is because they use American Cascade hops.

Amusing that this thread started off by mentioning Sharia Law, where nasty things can happen to you if you are caught in possession of alcohol!