Gaybutton

Gatherings of 5 or More People Banned - What Does That Mean for "Farang"?

The coup leaders have banned gatherings, which I presume means meetings and demonstrations, of five or more people for the time being. What does that mean for "farang?" I'm not writing this in jest. I really don't know whether that means meetings such as Thais For Life, Ex-Pat Club, PGF, etc. are now banned.

Am I misinterpreting the meaning of the ban? Does this ban include such types of 'gatherings?' I don't even know yet how to find out.

I think they mean public gatherings as in potential protesters. If they mean private gatherings too, I suppose the tanks will attack the Royal Garden any minute..... :blink:

I read that same thing but I am certain it said for political reasons.

I think they mean public gatherings

That's what I'm talking about, Bob. My concern is whether what we think and what is actually the case is really the same thing. Don't forget, we're talking about Thailand. They haven't banned "Thai logic," and perhaps this ban does apply to organized meetings. I think you're correct too, but how do we know for sure? Suppose you're not correct? How do we find out?

I'm in Pattaya. I've been here since the coup occured on Wednesday. I have not seen ANY policemen since Wednesday. (Usually u see them at least giving out citations to the citizenry not wearing helments whilst on their motorbikes). But since Wednesday, I've seen no brown uniforms at all anywhere. Has anybody else noticed this???

I read that same thing but I am certain it said for political reasons.

I'm not seeing it that way, Tdperhs. Here's what I saw in the article:

"Meetings of political parties and conducting any other political activities are banned," said the statement read on national television.

It also bans gatherings by five or more people and introduces restrictions on the media.

The word "also," to me, means that "gatherings" do not necessarily mean the same thing as limited to political reasons. That's the part that I'm concerned about. The article simply states that "gatherings" by five or more people are banned. What, exactly, does that mean? I don't see anything that says gatherings are ok as long as they are not for political reasons. The way I'm seeing it, gatherings are prohibited, period. It has not been sufficiently clarified to suit me. I'm not even sure if a non-political meeting would be considered a banned gathering.

So, back to my primary question. How do we find out?

I suggest using common sense. I believe the current government is too busy to worry about Thais4life or a birthday party, or fund raising event such as occurred at Throb. However, amy I suggest that you take 5 of us for dinner at Manhatans. If the military shows up and hauls us off to jail, I will buy...if not you buy. Then we will be able to see :) Joking of course. You buy either way!

Joking of course. You buy either way!

Ha! Are you familiar with the term "fat chance"? I've got a different idea. How about having Thaksin come back and take us? He can afford it. Me? I'm lucky when I can afford a som-tom from a street vendor . . .

Common sense. In Thailand? Yes, I think a novel approach just might work, at that

Guest YardenUK

To try and clarify Martial Law.........General Sondhi did not just suddenly ban gatherings of 5 or more people. Martial Law already exists in Thailand's statutes. Thaksin himself, implemented this law around 2 years ago in the deep south of the Kingdom. When Martial Law is declared the statutes of this law take precedence over existing laws. Curently the Constitution has been suspended and the powers of Parliament have been taken over by the Committee for Democratic Reform. As such a legal framework is needed in order to have some form of "rule of law" - hence the implementation of the existing Martial Law rules.

The issue of gatherings of 5 or more people is aimed solely at political gatherings and others which are aimed at agitating or working against the new leadership, and destabilising the country during this period of transition. The leaders of the coup are more concerned with the political well-being of the nation, after all this is not a coup in which some General or Air Force cheif has decided to seize power for his/her own personal gain. I therefore do not think there will be a crackdown on apolitical meetings of Farangs in Pattaya. The Crochet and Knitting clubs can probably continue :p

I therefore do not think there will be a crackdown on apolitical meetings of Farangs in Pattaya. The Crochet and Knitting clubs can probably continue :p

I'm sure you are right. I also can't picture arrests being made because of a Thais For Life meeting, but I would prefer to see something that fully clarifies it, coming from the new regime, that goes beyond what makes sense to us. I would not have any fear of attending apolitical meetings, but I still would like to see something from Thai authorities that says, in effect, yes, such meetings are allowable and are not banned. We say that such meetings are just fine and that it would be absurd to even entertain the notion that anyone would be arrested for attending such meetings, but I want to hear the same thing from Thai authorities.

Guest catawampuscat

This is not about farangs...

One would not know there was a coup in Pattaya, if it wasn't for the news on the media..

One delusional farang was ranting about tanks surrounding Sunee but other than that

it is just not about us..

Guest YardenUK

Thailand's Martial Law Act was drafted and enacted in 1914 (2457 Thai Year). I cannot find an English translation online, but for what it is worth to the Forum it is not more specific on gatherings of 5 or more people. But, Martial law is not intended to be highly specific, rather it is used to grant sweeping powers in order to maintain "order" in a transitional period. I therefore doubt anyone is going to get the specifics about what is and what is not banned, but common sense seems to suggest this isn't about farangs, but is more about political meetings that could destabilise the calm that the CDR has managed to instil.

Regarding the last post, I too had to laugh at BBC online coverage 2 days ago talking about "tanks filling the streets of Bangkok" and "Bangkok in turmoil" Nothing could have been further from the truth. How the world loves to dramatise everything beyond the reality of what has actually happened.

Guest hajuthai

I am sure the ban of meeting with 5 people or more is for political actviities.

But we will see, what happen, when Thais4Life have its next meeting on wednesday 27 at 5 pm after the break.

And I have also remarked that police seem to be underground. :p

I am sure the ban of meeting with 5 people or more is for political actviities.

But we will see, what happen, when Thais4Life have its next meeting on wednesday 27 at 5 pm after the break.

And I have also remarked that police seem to be underground. :p

Whether or not meeting participants are safe, I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . I think Thailand is missing a golden opportunity to bring in the one man who can truly save Thailand, and probably the rest of the world.

And here he is: