Guest fountainhall

Earl Wild, One Of The FIrst Openly Gay Pianists, Has Died

Guest fountainhall

Being openly gay in the rarified world of classical music was long regarded as a recipe for career suicide. The American virtuoso pianist and composer, Earl Wild, who died at the week-end at age 94, was one of the few to break the mould. Along with Horowitz and Cherkassky, he was regarded as one of a tiny group of true virtuoso pianists who seemed to be playing with four hands when tackling that technically fiendish repertoire. His recordings of the Rachmaninov concertos and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini made in London in the 1960's are now virtually cult classics (they are available on budget label from amazon.com).

In his 80's, in addition to a heavy recording schedule (he won a Grammy at age 81), he gave one recital a year in New York's concert mecca, Carnegie Hall. Inevitably it was sold out within hours and tickets would change hands for many hundreds of dollars. I had the great pleasure of knowing him and enjoying several meals with him and his partner, when he would regale us with his wicked humour and hugely amusing tales of those in the business who were hiding their sexuality. His impish humour comes out in some of his compostions, one of which is a set of variations based on the music in Disney's Snow White. His Memoirs will be published later this year. They will be a rollicking read. R.I.P. Earl.

His Memoirs will be published later this year. They will be a rollicking read. R.I.P. Earl.

Will you be in it? :D

I hope no offence taken, Fountainhall, couldn't resist. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. Could you post again when the memoirs come out? Thanks

Guest fountainhall

Will you be in it? :D

I hope no offence taken, Fountainhall, couldn't resist

I'm flattered! Hope I am in it (but unlikely) - I'd be famous at last, if only for a moment :p ! I'll keep a check on the publication date.

The web has been pretty busy with anecdotes. One blogger was sitting next to Earl at a masterclass he gave at the Juilliard School (the world's finest music school in New York). As one student was playing a Faure Barcarolle, "Earl turned to me and said, with a sly, camp shrug: 'Hmmm, it’s like getting laid in a boat, isn’t it?'" Of pianists who played with too much 'weight', he'd say "Banging is for the bedroom."

He always claimed to have become an atheist at an early age. Aged ten, he asked his mother how there could be a God when the organist at their local church in Pittsburgh was "so lousy!"

In his 87th year, he was asked after a recital about "the issue of longevity," and got a big laugh with his mock-indignant expression. "The sad thing about being as old as I am is that so many colleagues are dead," he said. "You miss the old bitchery."

But the wicked humour, scurrilous anecdotes (he loathed the current piano wunderkind, Lang Lang, calling him the "J. Lo of the piano" and "pure vaudeville") and exuberant spirit aside, he was one of the greatest and most imnnovative pianists of the last century - first to give a recital on television, first to give a recital on the internet, youngest soloist to appear with Toscanini (playing Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue). As he himself said, "I spent 8 years with Toscanini and the NBC Symphony. I've read all the books and reminiscences about him. Not one of the writers know what the hell they are talking about." Hopefully the Memoirs will correct that record.