Guest fountainhall

Haiti Devastation

Guest fountainhall

As the dreadful chaos in Haiti increases, I cannot help wondering what 'action' plans the world’s major powers have in their disaster relief files. It’s as if they have learned nothing from Hurricane Katrina, the Asian tsunami, the Sichuan and northern Pakistan earthquakes, and all the other recent catastrophies.

Earthquakes, by their very nature, are perhaps the least predictable of all natural disasters. But their effects are usually the same – massive destruction of property, failure of all forms of power, bodies trapped under rubble, lack of doctors and medical supplies to care for the injured, the urgent need for search and rescue teams, water, food, temporary housing, blankets, equipment to repair essential roads, and the breakdown of law and order etc.

In an area like Haiti, there’s the even greater need to ensure that its one major airport is safe, repaired and opened up as the top priority. Then it has to operate with military-like precision to ensure that planes get in, unload their cargos and fly out again in the shortest possible time. So is it not depressing to learn that trained search and rescue teams from China and Britain, to name just two, are stuck in a neighbouring country for days because there is so much backlog at Haiti’s airport? Indeed, I learn it has even had to close for a while. To me, that is just crazy, as those first responders are crucial in the immediate aftermath of a disaster (although, as I type, I hear the American military has finally taken over the airport – 4 days after the ‘quake)

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the United Nations has never (to my knowledge) sat down with its constituent states and worked out a very detailed 'action' plan for such disasters. This would have in place an agreed chain of command with specific responsibilities allocated to specific countries and personnel. Perhaps the major powers feel that they do not need this for disasters on their own territories. Fair enough - but natural disasters have a habit of striking the poorest nations. In those cases, something better has to be worked out than what has so far been done in Haiti.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the United Nations has never (to my knowledge) sat down with its constituent states and worked out a very detailed 'action' plan for such disasters.

I agree with you. I think part of the problem is the competence level of those in charge. "You're doing a great job, Brownie." Sheeeesh. You might as well have awarded Leona Helmsley the Medal of Freedom for her altruistic philanthropic work.

The USA can't seem to get its own act together, let alone be ready to jump in and help other countries when disaster strikes. Hurricane Katrina comes to mind. I went through Hurricane Andrew. I was lucky. I had no serious damage and I had my electricity back within three days. But a major portion of Miami was completely wiped out. To this very day you can still see trees that were bent over during that hurricane. Thousands and thousands of people lost everything and their homes were just gone. A huge number of people had nowhere they could go and ended up sleeping outside, and then later in makeshift tent cities. What did the federal government do? The best I can remember is not much more was done other than to let victims be late paying their taxes without a penalty being assessed.

I also remember that absolutely nothing was done in a timely manner. Everyone knows that when a major disaster occurs, the first 48 hours are the most critical. I remember President George Bush, Sr. came to Miami, surveyed the damage, said, "I've never seen anything like it," and went back to the White House. Well, that certainly was a big help. You've never seen anything like it? Guess what, Georgie - neither had anyone else.

Guest fountainhall

I well remember the terrible devastation caused by Hurricane Andrew. I was holidaying with friends in Fort Myers just the week beforehand and thankfully missed it. After some business in California, I then flew on to Kauai for 10 days to complete my vacation. A week later, Hurricane Iniki ripped through the island leaving massive destruction. What with earthquakes and hurricanes, I can be a dangerous travel companion!