Gaybutton

New Hampshire now 5th state to allow same-sex marriage

New Hampshire Now 5th State to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

(CNN) -- After 19 years together Linda Murphy and Donna Swartwout tied the knot at 12:01 a.m. Friday, when New Hampshire's law legalizing same-sex marriage took effect.

They were among several couples early Friday who married under a full moon on the steps of the New Hampshire Statehouse in Concord.

At midnight, New Hampshire became the fifth state to allow same-sex couples to marry, joining Connecticut, Vermont, Massachusetts and Iowa.

The couple, who live in Hudson, New Hampshire, said they wanted to be married as soon as they could.

"We were thrilled and proud of New Hampshire ... it was a such a historic moment," Murphy said.

Swartwout said the marriage gives them "words and language that the rest of the world uses."

"When my nephew asks, 'Who's Linda?" I get to say, 'she's my wife,' " she said.

I'd bet on Utah with the LDS there.

I wouldn't bet on it. :) Although I know you were kidding, I really do love Utah. I think it is one of the most beautiful states in the USA and probably one of the few I would retire to. Lower Utah often gets an influx of people from Vegas and tends to be not as conservative.

It is a shame that California did not make the list. Shame on the people there!