Gaybutton

Majority of Thais Support the Coup, According to Poll

Asked how the Thai politics would develop following the coup, 75.04 per cent ...said it would improve because there is a major political change. The political system would function more efficiently and politicians could perform duties more independently.

That's the same 75.04 % that will beliieve you when you say it's in the mail.

That's the same 75.04 % that will beliieve you when you say it's in the mail.

and probably part of the 75.04178% that don't understand the principle of not implying more precision than can be justified

who was it that first talked of "lies, damn lies and statistics"?

bkkguy

Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

from wikipedia:

This well-known saying is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain ... Recent research indicates that neither Disraeli nor Twain actually coined the phrase. Alternative attributions include the radical journalist and politician Henry Du Pr

Doesn't anyone at all see the extreme irony in giving a rational basis to the coup (a taking over of a government with a gun) by now saying that 80% of the people support it? Let's see......80% support it (presuming that is really true and I don't) .....then, okay, a majority of the people give it the okay and, of course, that's the concept (majority of the people) that underpins the whole notion of democracy! Of course, a coup is the most democratic thing that could have happened! How dumb of me not to understand.

If these poll numbers are true, then why not simply wait until the next election (it was supposed to happen in October anyway!) and, if you believe what the pollsters say, Thaksin and his party would have received 20% or less of the vote. Democracy in action!

Having some military men take over the country by force (oppose them - you get shot), revoke the constitution, ban all gatherings of 5 or more people, ban the creation of political parties or the meeting of any existing political parties, etc., etc., is not something I am going to suggest is a good thing to happen. Their decrees are intended to stiffle any freedom of expression and, apparently, the freedom of any rational thought.

Guest pete1969

My BF who was a big Thaskin supporter said the coup was a good thing. According to him, the news on Thai message boards is that the army learned of a huge demonstration planned at the new airport when Thaskin returned from NY. So, many Thais believe the army had to step in.

Now, please be aware that my BF told me this is what he is reading on Thai message boards--I'm not advocating this as truth. He is also very proud that his country can have such a successful and bloodless coup. I could feel him beaming over the phone. He also will support whatever his King supports. So, based on his logic and communication with me, I can understand why a large majority of Thais would support the coup. It is a done deal, life goes on as normal, so what would be the benefit in not supporting it (especially if the King supports it)?

The BF also says many Thais believe Thaskin is free to run again for PM in the next election (that I would have to see to believe, but TIT).

If my very pro Thaskin BF is now a coup supporter, then I understand why many Thais would say they are.

Pete