Guest fountainhall

HAVE FUN . . . NOW!

Guest fountainhall

Interesting article in today's New York Times -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/29/science/29tier.html?emc=eta1

It starts -

For once, social scientists have discovered a flaw in the human psyche that will not be tedious to correct. You may not even need a support group. You could try on your own by starting with this simple New Year’s resolution: Have fun ... now!

Apparently psychologists and behaviourable economists are starting to examine the impulse to put off to tomorrow what could be enjoyed today. For example, they analysed a group of people given gift certificates, Some expired in 2 - 3 weeks; others in 6 - 8 weeks. Those receiving the longer term certificates were more certain they would use them. Yet, in fact, they used less of them than those in the short term group. Equally, if you're determined to extract the maximum out of those frequent flyer miles, the greater the chance you'll end up wasting at least some of them.

That's true in my case. I held on for years to American Express points. When I finally redeemed them for miles, the conversion rate had been increased and I 'lost' 46,000 miles! (I know - my fault for not paying attention to Amex communications). I also have a couple of bottles of duty-free vintage champagne which I kept for "that special occasion." Only, I kept postponing the occasion to the point where it's probably vinegar in those bottles now.

Many of us, the scientists suggest, are "unauthorised procrastinators of pleasure". The answer? Set deadlines for the use of special coupons, airline miles and hotel points, etc. Also, don't wait for 'the' special occasion - just create one! So don't wait till tomorrow to hit the bars - do it TONIGHT, guys :p

For Christmas I was given a gift certificate for a wine store and subsequently read the NYT article. So I immediately rushed to the wine shop, cashed in the certificate for 2 bottles of $20+ wine and am packing them for an upcoming trip to Thailand. Made sure it was New Zealand wine to avoid the tariffs (yes I know only one bottle allowed but just in case I can play dumb). But now have no money for a good bottle of champagne for New Year!

Click on image and have a toast with kokopelli

post-9743-12622309054333_thumb.gif