Guest taylorsquare

Saunas around the world

Guest taylorsquare

Well,who here goes to saunas?

I have always been shy to go to one,looking at some of their websites,there appear to be a entry fee and you strip off with a towel and then make eye contact.

Is that about right?

dO OLDER guys have any luck in these places?

How do you actually find someone in there?

I would love to try the Turkish saunas.

Wheres the best sauna you have been in around the world?

Guest fountainhall

Well,who here goes to saunas?

I have always been shy to go to one,looking at some of their websites,there appear to be a entry fee and you strip off with a towel and then make eye contact.

Is that about right?

dO OLDER guys have any luck in these places?

How do you actually find someone in there?

I would love to try the Turkish saunas.

Wheres the best sauna you have been in around the world?

Yes, the routine is pretty much as you describe. But most will have dark areas where you can hook up without having much clue as to whom you are with. And some nowadays have theme evenings, with underwear night, nude night, small towel night etc. I was quite anxious the first time I went - but going with an experienced friend certainly helped. Yes, older guys do have luck, although this depends to a large extent on what you are looking for and which sauna. A lot of saunas around Asia are primarily for locals. Whilst they will take your money and you will enjoy the eye candy, you may not get much success.

Never been to a Turkish sauna. My experience has mostly been here in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan. Babylon certainly looks wonderful, but I much preferred in it when it was in the older, smaller building at the top of the soi. My favourite, though, was Chakran (pronunced Chakarn) in Soi Aree. A beautiful, Moroccan-themed building usually teeming with really beautiful boys. It's much more for Thais-looking-for-Thais, but I did get the occasional good time. Most of the more recent ones in Bangkok are also Thai-for-Thai, especially in the Ladphrao and Ramkhamhaeng areas. I am told that younger, more in-shape farang will sometimes have success, but it's not guaranteed.

In Japan there is a much stricter etiquette in saunas - rather as in Japanese society as a whole. Friends say the latest '24' in Shinjuku is great with a good number of students there at certain times. In Taipei, I used to frequent two -one now closed, The other, Hans Mens Sauna, is pretty basic, but one can sit in the hot tub and watch everyone unashamedly showering themselves in all their glory, including a lot of younger guys. And there are still some lovely young Taiwanese who only want to be with older western guys, no matter in-shape or not.

Way back, the Continental in Paris (near the old Opera) was a wonderful place. It had several levels, one of which boasted a huge swimming pool. You could often find the most gorgeous Vietnamese boys there.

Guest fountainhall

I was there more than a couple of decades ago. Although I've been in Paris since, i have not tried any saunas. A check with Spartacus or any gay guide to Paris will let you know if it's still operating.

Guest fountainhall

I find no mention of the 'Continental'.

Looking at a map of Paris, I recall it was either on the Boulevarde des Cappucines or possibly the Rue du Quatre September. Certainly no more than 100 meters going west from the metro at the Palais Garnier Opera House. A quick check on some sites indicates there is no other sauna on these streets (i thought it might have been renamed). I guess it probably suffered declining business when the HIV outbreak became headlines - plus, being prime real estate, it may well have been sold for redevelopment.

But Paris is a very gay city - it's not called "Gay Paree" for nothing :o I see on one site there is a major 2,000 sq. meter (that's big!) sauna on the Boulevarde de Sebastopol that looks like it could be worth exploring.

http://www.suncity.fr/suncity/langues.htm

Guest taylorsquare

Must be a gay sauna in nearly every city of the world.

But unless you have the body of a bodybuilder,probaly wont have much luck if your mature aged.

I probaly would get bored sitting around in a towel anyway

I imagine the biggest and best Gay Sauna would be in the USA.

Guest taylorsquare

You certainly get around the world ATRI.

You say you have had sex in the saunas,are you a fit looking youngish looking guy?

Without going into too much detail,how does the experience happen for those who have never been into one,do you sit in the sauna and try to make a conversation with someone you like or wait for them to approach you?

With your experience at saunas ,which in the world would you say is the best?

Fountainhall,the Taiwanese ones sound good.

You certainly get around the world ATRI.

You say you have had sex in the saunas,are you a fit looking youngish looking guy?

Without going into too much detail,how does the experience happen for those who have never been into one,do you sit in the sauna and try to make a conversation with someone you like or wait for them to approach you?

As long as i can i will travel as much as i can. I am really not looking like a fit guy. I am now 51 and i am chubby. When i start travel in the age of 14 years i was slim and fit till around 40 years. But i finished smoking in 1991 and slowly got chubbier by the years.

I would say in asia i always have fun in saunas - mostly they come alone....

In europe it can happen there is nobody to have fun with but it happens rarely. Action zones are the mazes and steamrooms. Best and most sex have had in the old now closed RAW in Singapore and in OTOT2 in KL. Conversation is mostly after the fun.

In Taipeh was a sauna (Genghis Khan) near the Caesar Park Hotel where i liked it. Was directly opposite the main station.

Guest fountainhall

Let's get down to basics :o Guys who go to saunas are looking primarily for one thing. Look beyond that and you have guys who like handsome hunks, others who are only into their own age group, some like chubbs, others are only into older etc. I was sometimes in pretty good shape; at others not nearly so good, bordering on chubb status I guess. Once you get into your 40s and 50s (or more), there's not much you can do do help your chances of success, other than selecting a sauna where it is known there will be at least some guys looking for your type.

I am a novice compared to atri1666, certainly geographically. I'm only into Asian guys. Apart from Asia, I had good times in Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, Amsterdam - cities with a sizeable Asian community. Atri1666 mentions otot2 in KL. I was staying with friends when it opened and have one of the original membership cards (sauna membership is usually either free or a very modest amount). It's great, although there was nowhere to enjoy private time with your new found friend/s. Re Taiwan, I just happen to find Taiwanese guys extraordinarily sexy and that's why I really enjoyed saunas there. In terms of attractiveness of the facilities, however, none in Taipei comes anywhere near to places like Babylon or Chakran.

Once in a sauna, just walk around and relax. Although to the rest of the world, a sauna is merely a hot wood-lined cabin, a gay sauna is much more of a club with many different types of room - shower rooms, hot tub areas, steam rooms, cafes, bars, dark rooms, gyms etc. etc. So sitting around is not really a good idea. Just amble around. Don't look nervous and try to smile, especially when you are passing a handsome guy you fancy. A gentle touch on his hand or shoulder will soon tell you if he's interested or not. And never be afraid of rejection - or you'll get nowhere! In Asia, I find smiles worked wonders. Like atri1666 I never paid for sex in a sauna.

Just go and have fun! Saunas are not expensive, and at the very least you'll enjoy an on-going parade of mouth-watering eye-candy :p

Guest taylorsquare

The fear of rejection!!!!!!!

I wonder how many reading this have the rejection fear and not fear of entering the sauna itself,but a fear of being rejected.

Those with that fear can pretend in their minds that thai barboys want them ,and they feel much more relaxed knowing they are paying and not going to face rejection.

Yes i probaly would fit into that catorgory,probaly called low self esteem.

Guest mlomker
A gentle touch on his hand or shoulder will soon tell you if he's interested or not.

I recently spent a week staying at Babylon's hotel. I was shy about going in there as well and found someone that knew the ropes to give me the grand tour. I agree with fountainhall...everyone just wanders around the different areas and if you like someone then the polite thing would be to squeeze their hand or rub their arm. At Babylon there is a tepid hot tub and if you sit in there you are pretty much assured of a hand job or more.

I've had guys in dark areas simply grab me and stick their tongue down my throat. That obviously isn't polite but you do need to expect some pushy people in those places. I had a handsome 28yr old Thai rescue me from that situation...and we spent the next five evenings together. I feel fortunate to have met him.

I am 37 and decent looking so I can't speak to how other people would fare. It's an experience that I'm glad to have had.

Guest mlomker
Yes i probaly would fit into that catorgory,probaly called low self esteem.

You are in good company...I've been that way all of my life. It's a real impediment because you miss out on a lot of good things that the cocky & extroverted guys are doing.