Guest lvdkeyes

ONE WORD RIDDLE

Guest lvdkeyes

'Nine letter word'

What if this was the only question on the exam to pass High School English and earn your diploma. Would you graduate?

Okay you brainiacs, here is a brain teaser for you.

What nine letter word in the English language is still a word when each of the nine letters is removed one by one?

Take a few minutes to try and come up with a nine letter word that fits the bill.

Guest fountainhall

This is maddening! I've assumed that as you must end up with one letter, the first one has to be either an 'a', 'i' -or just possibly an 'o'. Building on the 'a' I get as far as 'ante' or 'anti' - and then am stuck. Even if you include the letters 'a' to 'g' as starters (being notes on the scale), I still can't get far. I fail!

Guest jomtien

This is maddening! I've assumed that as you must end up with one letter, the first one has to be either an 'a', 'i' -or just possibly an 'o'. Building on the 'a' I get as far as 'ante' or 'anti' - and then am stuck. Even if you include the letters 'a' to 'g' as starters (being notes on the scale), I still can't get far. I fail!

I don't think the letters have to be removed sequentially. If so, as I recall from my long lost youth, at least 2 dozen words fit. Unfortunately, my aging brain can only seem to remember 2 at the moment. Sheesh!

Guest lvdkeyes

Don't over complicate it. Just remove one letter from the nine letter word to form an eight letter word, then remove one letter to form a seven letter word, etc. Do not scramble the letters.

Guest lvdkeyes

S T A R T L I N G

S T A R T I N G

S T A R I N G

S T R I N G

S T I N G

S I N G

S I N

I N

I

I don't see how roadsters works. Enlighten me, please.

Guest zzrichard

What if this was the only question on the exam to pass High School English and earn your diploma. Would you graduate?

Guess I will go to summer school...again :angry: