Guest Astrrro

Obama To End Don't Ask Don't Tell

Guest Astrrro

OCTOBER 11, 2009, 12:37 A.M. ET Obama to End 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Military Policy

By ELIZABETH WILLIAMSON

WASHINGTON--President Barack Obama on Saturday pledged to end a 16-year-old policy banning gay people from serving openly in the nation's military, in a gesture to a group that provided a major source of support during his campaign.

But the president didn't set out a timetable for reversing the policy. As a result, his pledge might not be enough to appease some in the gay community who feel that Mr. Obama hasn't moved quickly enough to address their issues -- even as his message could spark criticism from some conservatives and members of the military.

Speaking at a human-rights dinner in the capital, Mr. Obama vowed to end the Clinton-era "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which allows homosexuals to serve in the military, as long as they don't disclose their sexual orientation or act on it.

The law has long been criticized by gay-rights advocates as a half-measure that doesn't fully recognize the rights and contributions of gay service-men and women. Mr. Obama has in the past said he would work to overturn the policy.

"We cannot afford to discharge people from our ranks with critical skills," he told a cheering crowd of about 3,000 at the black-tie event sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign, a gay civil-rights group.

Mr. Obama also appealed to Congress to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, which limits how state and federal bodies can recognize domestic partnerships in providing government benefits. He also vowed to press for legislation that would extend health and other employment benefits to domestic partners of workers. But he again didn't provide a timetable.

Mr. Obama's statements are likely to be welcomed by many liberal Democrats, although some activists criticized his failure to provide more concrete details.

Kevin Nix, spokesman for Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, which represents gay and lesbian members of the military, said the president did little more than repeat his campaign pledge on the issue. "He missed an opportunity tonight" to set a timetable, Mr. Nix said. "We'd like a bill in Congress in 2010."

Mr. Obama's comments could also spark criticism from conservatives and some supporters who say the administration must set priorities, as the nation grapples with continued high unemployment, a recession, and two wars.

Any attempt to change government policy concerning gay people could further divide an already polarized Congress. The administration needs lawmakers' cooperation to pass legislation to overhaul the nation's health-care system, a top priority for Mr. Obama. The administration is also trying to secure passage of new financial-industry regulations and could turn to Congress to request more troops in Afghanistan.

Congress passed the law popularly known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in 1993. Efforts by then-President Bill Clinton to repeal it ran into opposition from the military and Congress, which at the time was controlled by Republicans.

Mr. Obama, who spokes for about 25 minutes, told the crowd that he came to the gay community with a simple message: "I'm here with you in that fight

Guest lvdkeyes

I do believe Obama wants to do the right thing. He has so many pressing issues, economy, wars etc, that I am afraid some issues have to take more time.

Guest Soi10Tom

The HRC has money and the ear of the man..but at what cost? I think that HRC is more concerned about having a place at the table of the fat and powerful than fighting the fight that has to be fought. After all it is much cleaner, ego gratifying, and easy to put out $250 and have dinner with the President while wearing an expensive suit than it is to roll up your panties and participate in a protest march and take a chance on being arrested or getting a sunburn. I think Obama is playing HRC for a fool.

My friends...where do you think the Civil Right of African Americans would be today if Martin Luther King had listened to all of the well off African Americans who didn't want him to rock the boat because the protest he lead were either bad for their business' or would threaten their position in the white community? The answer is pretty straight forward.....the civil rights movement would today still be stuck somewhere in the 1960's.

Where is the gay equivalent of MLK???? We need a leader with charisma, brains, dedication, and the guts to lead the Gay Community from the wilderness and into the light of Equality in America.

Guest GaySacGuy

I do believe Obama wants to do the right thing. He has so many pressing issues, economy, wars etc, that I am afraid some issues have to take more time.

Time is what we don't have. Right now the Dems have a majority in the House and Senate, and the White House....what better TIME??? At the rate health care and some other items are going, we may not have those majorities in 15 months....so no time like the present.

It isn't that diffucult...have a Senator introduce the bill, have the dems for for it and the Republicans remain the party of NO...so what. Get it passed!!!