Guest fountainhall

Airports: Life, Death and the Hired Help

Guest fountainhall

There's an interesting article in Britain's Guardian newspaper with some facts about London's Heathrow airport. It's written by a journalist who spent a week there.

Each week some 10 people die there! Apparently the most dangerous time for passengers is the 20 minutes after landing. Wonder how many shuffle of their mortal coil at other large airports like JFK and O'Hare? Or even at Suvarnabhumi?

And at Terminal 5, the one which failed spectacularly when it opened last year but which now works well, there's a British Airways check-in employee who, if you manage to be especially rude to her, will pretend that her machine has suddenly designated you for an upgrade. Then, just as she observes your scowl turn into a deferential smile, she will take a second look at her screen, sigh empathetically and announce that sadly the system has mysteriously changed its mind and there won't be an upgrade after all. "That's a lesson that normally lasts a lifetime," she reckons!

Each week some 10 people die there! Apparently the most dangerous time for passengers is the 20 minutes after landing.

That surpriseth me not - the time between the plane landing and actually reaching its hanger and before the seat belt sign goes off can be interminable! Twenty minutes is probably about average, time enough to have worked yourself up into a terminal decline. . .

Guest zzrichard

quote name='Rogie' date='04 October 2009 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1254643583' post='30633']

That surpriseth me not - the time between the plane landing and actually reaching its hanger and before the seat belt sign goes off can be interminable! Twenty minutes is probably about average, time enough to have worked yourself up into a terminal decline. . .

A commercial pilot friend once told me that some accidents happen between landing and deplaning by passengers who remove their seat belt prior to his turning on that light.

At times he has to make a quick turn, adjust speed, etc. when he notices something out of order in front of the craft and if an unpatient flyer is up and moving around he may go down rather quickly. :wacko:

A commercial pilot friend once told me that some accidents happen between landing and deplaning by passengers who remove their seat belt prior to his turning on that light.

Yes, I know I am a goody goody, but one of my pet hates is passengers who 'jump the gun'. Alas I have never seen any of these amber gamblers coming a cropper. In practice, a sharp turn, de- or acceleration may precipitate a sprained ankle or some smudged mascara, hardly reward IMO for their unsporting behaviour. ;)

Guest fountainhall

Since we've moved from the airport and on to the plane, time to air another of my peeves. I am heartily sick and tired of passengers who come on board with their hands full of bags ad wearing a backpack. What's in their hands is of no importance to me, but backpacks can be dangerous in the confined space of a plane's aisle. The passenger just has to turn slightly and WHAM, that backpack hits somebody. If it happens when you're standing up, the most you'll get is a biff on the arm, torso or back. But if you're seated, that backpack is at the level of your face. The worst I've had is my spectacles being whipped off, but had I not been wearing spectacles, it could have been the eye that got hit. Just think what could happen to a child or a young teenager who is paying less attention to those coming up the aisle!

I have given up writing to airlines about the need for backpacks to be taken off and hand carried on board. I consider those who fail to take them off not merely selfish, but in danger of causing what will eventually be a serious injury. And if that happens, I hope the wearer is sued to the full extent of the law.

I am heartily sick and tired of passengers who come on board with their hands full of bags ad wearing a backpack.

Fountainhall, you are so right! I share your pet-peevishness on this point. I've always been just amazed at the lack of common courtesy of those dolt travelers. Hell...it's not only a lack of common courtesy, it's also their lack of awareness and 'smarts'. They could actually maneuver better down the aisle, not only our being safer while they do so. But, they seem to fall into one of two categories (in my humble view): 1) those for whom walking queue-file down the plane's aisle is a task of bewilderment for them --- witness their wide-eyed "golly-ee" stare (yes, I know that's a bit unkind...) and, 2) those who don't give a damn and will take-up whatever space they jolly-well will.

I've never gone the route of actually offering a constructive complaint to the airline (I've preferred to stew in silence, lol !), but I commend you for your efforts.

Guest fountainhall
I've never gone the route of actually offering a constructive complaint to the airline (I've preferred to stew in silence, lol !), but I commend you for your efforts

Thanks dapitt. As some posters will know, I have never been one to be backwards in coming forwards, as it were :o Knowing some people in the airline business, I also know that the major ones do like to get constructive feedback, even though they may not always act on it. I'm not sure I've had many successes, but one was with Cathay Pacific's meal service. I was pissed off having to eat a lunch meal when a plane took off before 09:00. After about 9 months of hammering away at this, Cathay finally changed their policy. Now any regional flight that departs before about 9:30 will always serve either breakfast or brunch (the latter meaning at least one egg dish and loads of breads, rolls, croissants, preserves etc.).

But regarding backpacks, the replies all say they do not encourage it but leave it up to the cabin staff to decide. Of course, the cabin staff are far too busy when boarding a full aircraft. I guess it will take some major injury before they start to get serious about it.

But regarding backpacks, the replies all say they do not encourage it but leave it up to the cabin staff to decide. Of course, the cabin staff are far too busy when boarding a full aircraft.

I used to wear my backpack (cabin luggage) onto the plane until one time a cabin steward told me to take it off. That made me reflect on what I was doing and since then I have always taken it off prior to boarding.