Guest fountainhall

Behaviour in hotels' public areas

Guest fountainhall

I guess this is just another of my pet moans, but it may well affect other readers, many of whom travel to Thailand and other countries.

I spend a lot of time in hotels and am increasingly aware of what I feel is anti-social behaviour on the part of many hotel guests - namely, not respecting the right of other guests to a degree of peace and quiet. This often takes the form in some hotels of letting doors slam rather than closing them gently, thereby waking me up early in the morning. This, of course, is sometimes more a hotel's fault for not having doors which close quietly, as last week-end when I was at a Hyatt that is circular in its overall design and where the doors on each floor are mostly clustered in semi-circles in groups of four. I am certain I heard every single entrance and exit as doors seemed to slam around me.

Sometimes people treat the corridors leading to their rooms as a public bar space where they can shout at each other, or hoot with laughter without any consideration for other guests who may be trying to sleep - which happened last night where I am at an Intercontinental in a somewhat jet-lagged state! Worse, families - usually Asian families - are perfectly happy to let their kids scream aloud and run riot in the corridors as though they are in their own home.

In both the above cases, the corridors are thickly carpeted which should have helped reduce noise. But I have also stayed in many much less expensive hotels where corridors have wood or stone floors with similar disturbances to the peace of other guests.

Every time I talk to a hotel manager, I get a sympathetic response, a promise to do something about it. Usually, nothing ever happens, although occasionally I have been upgraded to a different floor.

Am I the only one pissed off with such behaviour?

Guest taylorsquare

Ironically,i just abused the korean students living next door to me in my apartment building.

They decide to slam their door everytime on entering and leaving.

I understand your frustration.

How would you like to be dozing off on the lounge watching TV,and "BANG",THERES THAT F...N DOOR AGAIN !!!

And this noise vibrates the walls.

I have a door closer on my door so its impossible to slam it as it goes very slow to close but inconsiderate bastards continue to SLAM their doors on my floor that now i am pumping up the music volume to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

One thing I have decided is that when i eventualy move to Pattaya,I will prefer buying a house rather than a apartment.

The noise of people laughing and talking loud whilst waiting for the elevator,slamming doors ,the elevator noise,flushing of toilets etc is not what i want to hear when i retire.