Guest taylorsquare

Prostrate Test / Colonoscopy

Guest taylorsquare

Well...listening to a Doctor on a radio station recently.he was advising listeners that unless they have any symptoms its no use having a prostate test.

He said many guys of older age that had prostate cancer didnt die of prostate cancer as it takes a long time to develop.

I try to have a PSA test every few years ,that is a test for cancer markers in the blood,I think anyway.

Im not sure of the other method if it works where the doctor uses a glove to see if your prostate is enlarged which i heard most are anyway?

The second test i like to get every few years is a colonoscopy to see if there are any lumps or whatever there called in the bowels.

The doctor used a camera and apparently watched a plasma tv of your insides.

How many of you bother getting these tests?

Guest lvdkeyes

Even though there is debate over the accuracy of PSA test I get one every year. I am overdue for colonoscopy, but I will get one this year with my annual physical.

Well...listening to a Doctor on a radio station recently.he was advising listeners that unless they have any symptoms its no use having a prostate test.

That doctor ought to get a nuclear colonoscopy himself as he's full of shit.

Every guy ought to get an annual checkup including a PSA screening and digital rectal exam. Prostate cancer is highly treatable if caught early.

As to the dumbass doctor's comment that there's no sense having any tests unless you have "symptoms", that's incredibly stupid. Many prostate cancers, in early stages, have no (zero) symptoms at all - and some are too advanced for effective treatment once symptoms appear. My dad, one brother, and several friends (all in their 40's and 50's) have had prostate cancer detected by annual screenings - and not one of them had any symptoms (other than my dad if you want to count his complaint in his mid-seventies that he couldn't "piss like a racehorse" anymore). My brother was 47 when it was detected and his prostate was removed successfully with no further problems (other than some erection problems).

The old advice is that the screenings start at age 50....but now it's suggested at age 40. Again, catch it early and you very likely won't die of it.

What a stupid fucking doctor.

[A high PSA number doesn't mean you have cancer - but it's a good reason to have further testing and maybe a biopsy. What most doctors are looking for is a jump in the PSA number as that is a special reason to check things out further (but that alone doesn't necessarily mean cancer)]

Guest Soi10Tom

Amen!!!! What a stupid fucking doctor!!!! His advice flies in the face of the recommendation of every real expert in the world. Get the PSA and a digital exam every year and a colonoscopy every five years. If the doctor is young and cute...skip the annual anal digital exam and let him stick his fist in up to the wrist(<:)))

Guest fountainhall
[How many of you bother getting these tests?

I've had the PSA test as part of each annual check-up, and colonoscopies every 2 -3 years. Like the radio doctor, though, two members of my family who are both roughly my age and both doctors have never had either test done and say they're basically a waste of time!! I reckon they're mad. They reckon I'm wasting my money!