Gaybutton

More Old Timers Trivia

1. What scientist was in charge of the Manhattan Project?

2. Richard Nixon became famous for his "Checkers" speech. Who or what was Checkers?

3. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" To whom was that directed? (Hint: it wasn't directed toward me, although there are some who probably think it ought to be . . .)

4. What was the name of the Borden Milk cow?

5. In which state will you find the original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant?

6. Richard Boone starred in the television western "Have Gun, Will Travel." What was the name of his character?

7. What was Raw Umber?

8. When the White House was being renovated, where did President Harry Truman reside?

9. Spring Byington played Lily Ruskin in a popular 1950's sitcom. What was the name of the sitcom?

10. What mint brand was advertised as containing Retsyn and was "Two. Two. Two mints in one."?

11. What two characters would use the "Wayback" machine?

12. The 1968 Super Bowl, New York Jets vs Oakland Raiders, with 65 seconds to go the broadcast was cut so that NBC could start a movie on time. What was the movie?

13. What cartoon character was the "star" of Thimble Theater?

14. Despite their famous feud, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis starred together in one movie. What was the name of movie?

15. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis agreed to star together in another movie, but Joan Crawford died shortly after filming began. Olivia de Havilland replaced her. What was the name of the movie?

16. Who said the following: "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." "I never said most of the things I said." "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." "It's like deja-vu, all over again." "It gets late early out there." "It ain't over till it's over."

17. "From Television City . . ." Where was Television City?

18. In what country did the Mau Mau Rebellion occur?

19. Who said, "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars"?

20. Who said, "We will bury you!"?

1. What scientist was in charge of the Manhattan Project? I believe it was Robert Oppenheimer.

2. Richard Nixon became famous for his "Checkers" speech. Who or what was Checkers? His doggy (who was at least as cute as his daughter).

3. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" To whom was that directed? (Hint: it wasn't directed toward me, although there are some who probably think it ought to be . . .) Believe it was directed at that rotten asshole, Sen. Joseph McCarthy (and I think Edward R. Murrow may have said it).

4. What was the name of the Borden Milk cow? God, I ought to know this one but can't think of the name. Bossy? (nah, that's Loeploe's cow who, last I knew, was floating down the Mekong....).

5. In which state will you find the original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant? Only obvious guess I can come up with is: Kentucky.

6. Richard Boone starred in the television western "Have Gun, Will Travel." What was the name of his character? Paladin.

7. What was Raw Umber? Thought it was an artist's paint.

8. When the White House was being renovated, where did President Harry Truman reside? Don't have a clue.....NYC?

9. Spring Byington played Lily Ruskin in a popular 1950's sitcom. What was the name of the sitcom? I'll kick myself when I hear this answer (I should know it but can't seem to recall it at the moment).

10. What mint brand was advertised as containing Retsyn and was "Two. Two. Two mints in one."? Damn, can't think of the brand.....but that ad, along with the Ipana toothpaste ad, were some of the most annoying tv commercials of the 50's.

11. What two characters would use the "Wayback" machine? No clue at all.

12. The 1968 Super Bowl, New York Jets vs Oakland Raiders, with 65 seconds to go the broadcast was cut so that NBC could start a movie on time. What was the movie? No clue at all (and, hey, I thought I watched the whole game!).

13. What cartoon character was the "star" of Thimble Theater? Guessing Jimminy Cricket.

14. Despite their famous feud, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis starred together in one movie. What was the name of movie? Don't know (but a wild guess would be Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte?).

15. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis agreed to star together in another movie, but Joan Crawford died shortly after filming began. Olivia de Havilland replaced her. What was the name of the movie? Don't know.

16. Who said the following: "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." "I never said most of the things I said." "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." "It's like deja-vu, all over again." "It gets late early out there." "It ain't over till it's over."

Yogi Berra.

17. "From Television City . . ." Where was Television City? Hell if I know....but obvious (and probably wrong answer) is Hollywood.

18. In what country did the Mau Mau Rebellion occur? Kenya, I think.

19. Who said, "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars"? Groucho Marx.

20. Who said, "We will bury you!"? Sweetheart Nikita Krushchev.

This are getting harder!

Since nobody else seems to want to try this one, here are the answers:

1. What scientist was in charge of the Manhattan Project?

Robert Oppenheimer

2. Richard Nixon became famous for his "Checkers" speech. Who or what was Checkers?

A dog, given to his daughter.

3. "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" To whom was that directed? (Hint: it wasn't directed toward me, although there are some who probably think it ought to be . . .)

Directed to Senator Joseph McCarthy, spoken by attorney Joseph Welch during the Army-McCarthy hearings.

4. What was the name of the Borden Milk cow?

Elsie

5. In which state will you find the original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant?

Kentucky (I was hoping you would think it's a trick question and must be somewhere else)

6. Richard Boone starred in the television western "Have Gun, Will Travel." What was the name of his character?

Paladin

7. What was Raw Umber?

A crayon color in the large boxes of Crayola crayons.

8. When the White House was being renovated, where did President Harry Truman reside?

At the Blair House, across the street from the White House.

9. Spring Byington played Lily Ruskin in a popular 1950's sitcom. What was the name of the sitcom?

December Bride

10. What mint brand was advertised as containing Retsyn and was "Two. Two. Two mints in one."?

Certs

11. What two characters would use the "Wayback" machine?

Two cartoon characters: Mr. Peabody and Sherman (from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show)

12. The 1968 Super Bowl, New York Jets vs Oakland Raiders, with 65 seconds to go the broadcast was cut so that NBC could start a movie on time. What was the movie?

Heidi

13. What cartoon character was the "star" of Thimble Theater?

Popeye

14. Despite their famous feud, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis starred together in one movie. What was the name of movie?

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

15. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis agreed to star together in another movie, but Joan Crawford died shortly after filming began. Olivia de Havilland replaced her. What was the name of the movie?

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Yogi Berra

17. "From Television City . . ." Where was Television City?

Hollywood

18. In what country did the Mau Mau Rebellion occur?

Kenya

19. Who said, "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars"?

Groucho Marx

20. Who said, "We will bury you!"?

Nikita Krushchev