Guest lvdkeyes

Old Timers Trivia Quiz

Guest lvdkeyes

It looks like no one is going to give it a try. The two regulars I remembered on the Lucky Strike Hit Parade were Giselle McKenzie and Snookie Lanson. After looking up to see who I had forgotten I discovered there were dozens of regulars on the show including Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mercer and Doris Day.

God you guys must be ancient (i.e., I don't have a clue about Ecomcon and I didn't know any of the regulars on the Lucky Strike Hit Parade - although I sorta remember that name).

Ok, given your birthdates are likely only slightly after the beginning of AD (anno domini), try these two (which I usually can stump people with):

1. What was the name of Alexender the Great's horse?

2. What was the name of Hannibal's elephant?

And, closer to home, what is the name of the King of Thailand's favorite dog?

I would have been quite surprised if anyone got Ecomcon. Ecomcon was the name of the clandestine military base set up by General James Matoon Scott, for the purpose of a military coup in the USA, in the novel and movie "Seven Days in May." Ecomcon stood for Emergency COMmunications CONtrol.

As for the Hit Parade question, I never was much of a music person. I never paid attention to it.

I have no idea about Bob's questions, although I finally figured out what color Lady Astor's white horse was . . .

1. Who was Perry Mason's district attorney rival?

2. Who was Don Diego de la Vega?

3. Ed Sullivan had a little mouse puppet friend whose name was...

4. Who was the first host of the Tonight Show?

5. "Book him, Dan-o" came from what television show?

6. What was the title of Jack Benny's theme song?

7. On which popular 1950's television program was Dorothy Kilgallen a panelist?

8. What was the name of Sid Caesar's television show?

9. Who was "Mr. Television"?

10. If you miss this one, then you must have slept through the 50's: Who was Jack Benny's manservant?

Guest lvdkeyes

I have no idea about Bob's questions.

GB's:

2. Zorro

3. Topo Gigio (?)

4. Jack Parr

6. Love in Bloom

7. What's My Line

8. The Sow of Shows

9. Ed Sullivan

10. Rochester

The others I don't know.

Guest lvdkeyes

4 and 9 are incorrect. 8 is very close, and I know you meant "show" where you typed "sow," but one word is incorrect.

So, just shoot me for a typo.

I would have answered "Show of Shows" too....so am wondering what the right answer is there.

As to the ones unaswered:

1. Damn. There was Lieutenant Trager but I think he was the lead cop. Then there was Paul Drake, Perry's investigator. Oh! Paul Hamilton. (geez, the brain does eventually recall some things). No, not sure of the first name there. Something Hamilton? Oh....Hamilton Burger?

4. Hell, I would have said Jack Paar too. So I guess I don't know that one.

5. Hawaii Five O.

9. Milton Berle (and I really never liked him). (and maybe that's why I still don't like ladyboy shows...haha)

(I wouldn't have known #6)

Who was Steve Allen's wife and what was her probably more famous sister's name?

I can actually picture her - with her big mouth and tons of makeup - but can't figure the name. Jayne something? Don't have a clue about the sister.

Guest lvdkeyes

I would have answered "Show of Shows" too....so am wondering what the right answer is there.

Show of Shows is the correct answer. I had a typo and typed Sow of Shows, so GB said it wasn't completely correct. Picky Picky Picky

Guest lvdkeyes

I can actually picture her - with her big mouth and tons of makeup - but can't figure the name. Jayne something? Don't have a clue about the sister.

You are right about the over made up face. Her name was Jayne Meadows, her sister was Audrey Meadows who played Jackie Gleason's wife on The Honeymooners.

Yup. If I would have remember Meadows, I probably would have guessed old "Alice's" name. Pow, right to the moon!

Answers to the three I posed:

1. Alexander the Great's horse - Bucephulus (thought one of you would have got that one).

2. Hannibal's elephant was named Sura (learned that in junior high and it stumps everybody).

3. Rama IX's favorite dog was Tongdaeng (which means "copper" in English). A few years back, he published a book about the dog and the book set some publishing records in Thailand. By the way, I'm guessing that "Tong" must mean "metal" as I know that "daeng" means "red" (well, actually "see deang").

Guest lvdkeyes

1. What was the name of Alexender the Great's horse?

2. What was the name of Hannibal's elephant?

And, closer to home, what is the name of the King of Thailand's favorite dog?

Did you know these answers yourself or did you look them up before posting them?

Did you know these answers yourself or did you look them up before posting them?

I actually knew them. Have used the first two in trivia games with others for 30-40 years. Was aware of the King's favorite dog's name from seeing the book and reading an article in the Chiangmai Mail (I think) about it.

1. Who was Perry Mason's district attorney rival?

Hamilton Burger

2. Who was Don Diego de la Vega?

Zorro

3. Ed Sullivan had a little mouse puppet friend whose name was...

Topo Gigot

4. Who was the first host of the Tonight Show?

Steve Allen

5. "Book him, Dan-o" came from what television show?

Hawaii Five-0

6. What was the title of Jack Benny's theme song?

Love in Bloom

7. On which popular 1950's television program was Dorothy Kilgallen a panelist?

What's My Line

8. What was the name of Sid Caesar's television show?

Your Show of Shows

9. Who was "Mr. Television"?

Milton Berle

10. If you miss this one, then you must have slept through the 50's: Who was Jack Benny's manservant?

Rochester

You mean there is no wiggle room for typos?

There might be if that was the only mistake. It was called Your Show of Shows. Your answer didn't contain the word "your." You wrote "The" instead of "Your." So, you've got a typo and an incorrect word. I can't really call that a correct answer, can I?

Guest lvdkeyes

There might be if that was the only mistake. It was called Your Show of Shows. Your answer didn't contain the word "your." You wrote "The" instead of "Your." So, you've got a typo and an incorrect word. I can't really call that a correct answer, can I?

I call it bull shit.

Guest lvdkeyes

Of course it is not ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, but to get to picky over a single word that doesn't change the essence of an answer is a bit high handed. This is supposed to be just for fun, remember?

This is supposed to be just for fun, remember?

Then why on earth are you making an issue out of it? What difference does it make? I pointed out the correct answer. Didn't you want to know the correct answer? 'Your Show of Shows' is the correct answer and that's not what you wrote. Big deal. You still get to pick the prize behind door number 3.