KhorTose

Acclimation for Thailand

For those not familiar with Seattle, WA., USA we are known as the rainy city and the normal temperature this time of month is in the mid 70F (24C) in the day and down to

50F (10C) in the night. From Vancouver Canada---hello smiles---to Seattle we have had 5 straight days over 100F (38C) with Vancouver reaching 107F (40C). Every record for both cities has been broken and we have monitored temperatures for over 100 years. Seattle has now gone for 20 days with no trace of rain, and we are opening community centers, libraries and other public buildings until 9:00 PM at night. What is really bad is that very few non-public buildings have any air-conditioning at all, as under normal circumstances you never need an air-conditioner in Seattle. The good news is that I will not have temperature shock when I reach Chiang Mai. The bad news is that we are starting to have people die. In the meantime New York which is usually hotter then Hades this time of year has constant rain storms and a high of around 70F (22C).

My reason for posting all of this is to ask, climate change or just freaky weather?

Its the end of the world as we know it. And, I feel fine.

Best to get a bong, get a sexy boy and just weather out the storm for a week or two. If the world doesn't fall apart at least your time is well spent. :)

Its the end of the world as we know it. And, I feel fine.

Best to get a bong, get a sexy boy and just weather out the storm for a week or two.

Two Things, I love REM and that song in particular, and with all the people from the Middle East coming to Thailand wouldn't it be better to get a multi stem Hookah so we don't have to pass back and forth.

My reason for posting all of this is to ask, climate change or just freaky weather?

Who is to say?

I suspect a greater awareness of climatic events has lead to greater scrutiny, such that even the smallest aberration from the perceived norm is heralded as proof of some sort of permanent change. That's the key word, permanent. I am not saying the events in Seattle / New York come under the heading of minor events but they are when compared to the shrinking of the polar icecaps, retreating glaciers and so forth. Strange weather patterns as experienced by KhorTose are perplexing, but do not prove anything much in themselves, although taken as a whole along with lots of other strange happenings seem to have led many adherents of climate change to shout "we have proof". It looks to me like changes we (by which i mean scientists who can measure these things) can observe such as the melting of polar ice and are likely to be permanent, offers some kind of 'proof', whereas shifting weather patterns (more or less sun, more or less rain etc) does not.

Who is to say?

I suspect a greater awareness of climatic events has lead to greater scrutiny, such that even the smallest aberration from the perceived norm is heralded as proof of some sort of permanent change. That's the key word, permanent. I am not saying the events in Seattle / New York come under the heading of minor events but they are when compared to the shrinking of the polar icecaps, retreating glaciers and so forth. Strange weather patterns as experienced by KhorTose are perplexing, but do not prove anything much in themselves, although taken as a whole along with lots of other strange happenings seem to have led many adherents of climate change to shout "we have proof". It looks to me like changes we (by which i mean scientists who can measure these things) can observe such as the melting of polar ice and are likely to be permanent, offers some kind of 'proof', whereas shifting weather patterns (more or less sun, more or less rain etc) does not.

I agree, especially about the melting of the ice caps. I am reminded of a 7th grade science experiement where ice was put in a beaker of water and the beaker was set over a hot burner. As long as the water was stirred and the ice had not melted the temperature of the water only varied by one degree. When the ice did melt the water temperature shot striaght to 212 degrees in no time at all. I do not mean that our oceans are going to boil, but when the ice is gone, I know there will be a increase in the world's temperature similar to the science experiment. Still, Seattle without rain is sort of like Hersey, PA without chocolate, or China without people.