reader

Tawan Bar in Bangkok Closed: Police Raid Reported

I liked your article so thought others will too. I always advise everybody - go and see for yourself as other's perception may be clouded by factors irrelevant to us- weather , crowd or lack of it, AC , loud music, favorite boy already sitting with customer, pushy mamasan or plainly , just constipation.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I always advise everybody - go and see for yourself as other's perception may be clouded by factors irrelevant to us- weather , crowd 

I agree. Our tastes and expectations differ greatly. For example, @sydneyboy1 was disappointed with the numbertag guys he saw in The One, describing them as "overweight, heavily tattooed". I didn't think they were noticeably different from what they were in Tawan in the time before the sudden closure, nor what they were for years before that (except getting older and losing some hair). Possibly the guys working the bar the night I went were a different lot from the boys working the bar the night sydneyboy1 went, but not likely. More likely is that, to my eyes, they were hunk enough for me (in fact, many of them too heavy for me -** don't crush me, please!! **) whereas sydneyboy1 might have been looking for a different standard?

Passed by tonight at 8:40. What struck me is that they selll tickets before allowing entrance. It discourages casual customer from dropping in to see what’s happening. I believe bar would be better off to return to old practice of allowing all comers to enter and wait until they are actually seated to take drink order and acquire 500 baht income.

4 hours ago, reader said:

What struck me is that they sell tickets before allowing entrance. It discourages casual customer from dropping in to see what’s happening.

Moonlight and Jupiter are doing the same. While at Moonlight and Tawan they let you to have  a short peek, Jupiter seemed to be very strict. When once I wanted just to take specific guy, they did not let me in but called mamasan to sort the matter outside .  

For some businesses, it can make sense to collect a cover charge at the door. Much depends on how many "take a peek" people come by. If too many peek and leave, then they would want to discourage that. Other business which are confident that peeking leads strongly to staying would be fine with post-visit payment.

That said, to make such decisions, a business has to collect data and analyse them. Most small businesses don't do that; they simply follow the market leader.

16 hours ago, vinapu said:

Moonlight and Jupiter are doing the same. While at Moonlight and Tawan they let you to have  a short peek, Jupiter seemed to be very strict. When once I wanted just to take specific guy, they did not let me in but called mamasan to sort the matter outside .  

I arrange with Jupiter guy in advance through Line. I just had to appear at door outside bar and tell mamasan I am offing him. Mamasan let me sit at sofa outside while he called the guy to come out. Of course, I tipped mamasan for his help! :)

The One (Tawan) all buttoned up, sign taken in, lights turned off by midnight .  Once upon a long time ago, this section of soi 6 and turning toward Golden Cock and beyond was Twilight before Twilight.  Now  The One is the last vestige.  Higher end restaurants, mid level dining, food carts, and a thoroughfare from Grab deliveries that’s how time moves on.  Unable to alter the pace of history but honored to have memories.

9 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

The One (Tawan) all buttoned up, sign taken in, lights turned off by midnight . 

relatively early closing  (midnight )was their feature for last few years . I guess most of their  guys have other duties at daytime

6 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Once upon a long time ago, this section of soi 6 and turning toward Golden Cock and beyond was Twilight before Twilight.

My favorite was Solid Bar. Low-key hands-on friendly place with guys in white underwear and small go-go stage. I met some very nice guys there 👍

30 minutes ago, MaxBKK said:

My favourite was Solid Bar. Low-key hands-on friendly place with guys in white underwear and small go-go stage. I met some very nice guys there 👍

And what was the name of the owner/manager/mamasan who used to work opposite Tawan. I think the bar had a red Indian sort of name.
Solid had a self claimed partner who used to visit the bar and gather all the boys around him monopolising them.
Also another revolting belt and braces customer who the boys would dread being selected by.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:11 PM, Riobard said:

giphy.gif

False.

"The Coriolis effect is so small that it plays no role in determining the direction in which water rotates as it exits from a draining sink or toilet. The Coriolis effect produces a measurable influence over huge distances and long periods of time, neither of which applies to the typical terrestrial bathroom. "

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coriolis-effect/

Also, they got the direction wrong.

54 minutes ago, roughjock said:

Show still starts at midnight? I arrive tonight at 10:00 PM, hoping to make it!

10.30-10.45 so most likely you won't make it.

But before you start crying / swearing  keen in mind that both Saturday and Sunday are 'dry ' religious holidays and most likely bars will be closed on both days. Definitely Jupiter and Moonlight will.

Go on Monday and report on Tuesday what did you see. Please

53 minutes ago, roughjock said:

Show still starts at midnight? I arrive tonight at 10:00 PM, hoping to make it!

Shows ended at midnight. Starts roughly 10.30-10.45 so if u are there by 10pm u are good.