Gaybutton

Thai Driver's License for Thai Citizens

Some of you may recall my article about obtaining a Thai driver's license. That article, by the way, along with any of my other articles, is still available upon request if you send an E-mail to me at gaybutton@gmail.com . It is quite easy for you to get a Thai driver's license if you have an International Driving Permit and your driving license from your home country.

It's a different story for Thai citizens. Some of you may want your boyfriend to obtain a driving license for a car or motorcycle. My boyfriend and I went through it just yesterday for a driving license for a car.

First, make sure he arrives at the driving license office no later than 8:30 AM. It takes a good hour just waiting to submit the paper work and going through the color blindness and vision tests. Also, seating for the lecture they have to sit through is limited. The lecture begins at 9:45 AM. They get a break at about noon, and then they take the written test. That test is 30 questions and they must get at least 27 of the questions right in order to pass. If they don't pass, they can come back on any day, sit through a second lecture, this time about one hour, and re-take the test. If they do that within the same month, then at least they don't have to submit new photos and documents again. If they wait until the following month, then they have to go through the entire process again.

Even if they pass the test, they still have to come back again the next day to pick up their license. It will not be issued the same day they take the test.

If you go with him when he is going through this, it's a six hour ordeal for you while waiting for him to go through everything.

The list of document requirements for Thais is written in Thai, and the list is available only at the driver's license office, and it's quite a distance from town. However, I made a copy of the list. If you would like to have a copy of the list to give to your boyfriend, so he'll know in advance what he needs, send me an E-mail and I'll be glad to send you the list.

very imformatif post thanks G.B.

Do they not have to do as test to see if they can drive.?

It seems to depend on the whim of the personnel. Sometimes there is a driving test and sometimes there isn't. That's the best I can tell you.

I should mention that what I wrote above is how it's done in the Pattaya area. A few years ago I had an experience in the province of Khampaeng Phet. That boy failed the written test. 500 baht later, somehow he had passed after all. There was no driving test.

Whether the boys can still get away with that or not, I don't know. After all, the current government has cleaned up all corruption, haven't they?