TotallyOz

Visit to the Holy Lands

This is one trip I have dreamed of for years and want to try it this year. I met some ladies that I befriended in LA who are from Kuwait. They say the gay scene there is great and that I would love the men. So, I'll visit them. While in the neighborhood, I want to visit Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. I have never been to either. Any suggestions on must sees? I am not looking for boys on this trip but to have a real cultural experience.

In Israel, in Tel Aviv don't miss the Dead Sea Scrolls. In Jerusalem don't miss the old city, the Wailing Wall (which is the only surviving structure still existing from the original temple built by King Solomon), and definitely don't miss the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial.

I took a bus tour to En Gedi. That's where the Dead Sea is. You don't want to miss swimming in the Dead Sea (or trying to). You can even take a ride on a camel if you want. On the way there was a stop at a pillar of salt that traditionally is thought to be Lot's wife, the woman turned to a pillar of salt because she looked back during the destruction of Soddom And Gomorrah. They also stopped at Masada. You can climb Masada if you have the stamina, but there is also a tram that goes up. When you reach the top there is a guided tour.

Try to go to a kibbutz farm. That's very interesting the way they do that.

One tip. When I was there I started getting sick. I was in bad shape for three days. I went to a doctor, took the prescriptions, and continued to get worse. For a while I thought I would have to be hospitalized. Then a woman staying in the same hotel advised me to take some salt. I told her I try to avoid concuming too much salt. She reminded me that in the middle of a desert country you must have salt. By that time I was ready to try anything, so I took a tablespoon of salt, dissolved it in a glass of water, and drank it down. 20 minutes later I was fine! That's no exaggeration.

Another tip. If you are going to be there on a Friday, the whole country shuts down at sundown and absolutely nothing is open until sundown the next day. I mean no taxis, no restaurants, no nothing. My hotel was in Tel Aviv, but I had taken a bus that day to Jerusalem. When I went to the bus station to return to Tel Aviv, that's when I discovered about everything shutting down. I asked someone walking by how come there were no buses. That's when it was explained to me. There was a major hotel nearby, so I walked there.

As an aside, Peter Ustinov was staying there. I got to meet him. I spotted him as he was walking through the lobby and went up to him to say hello. What a wonderful person he was. He took time to have a whole conversation with me. He told me he's there filming a movie, one of the ones in which he played Inspector Poirot. Then he started talking about some of the things he went through when they made the movie "Spartacus." We chatted for nearly 15 minutes before he finally said he needs to excuse himself. I'll never forget that. All I expected to do was tell him I'm a great fan, get a thank-you and possibly a handshake, and that would be that. I never expected him to start chatting as if we were old friends.

When I entered the hotel I explained my predicament to the desk clerk. I asked for a room. He asked me if I had prepaid the room. I told him I had no idea about any of this and I'm a walk-in. He said they are not allowed to accept money during that time period, so he couldn't give me a room. I showed him a wallet full of cash and asked if I could pay for the room the next day when this was over. Sorry, he said, they can only accept advance payments. I sighed and asked him where the restaurant is. He asked me if I had prepaid for meals there. Of course, I hadn't. Again he said they can't serve me if I haven't prepaid.

I asked him what I'm supposed to do. I have no way to get back to my hotel in Tel Aviv. I have no way to eat. I have no place to sleep. He said the only thing he can do to help me is he can let me sleep on a couch in the hotel lobby. Thanks a lot! He also said I can take an Arab taxi back to Tel Aviv if I wanted to chance it.

Three other people were in the same predicament. We decided to share an Arab taxi back to Tel Aviv and pray we wouldn't end up with our throats slit or something. The taxi driver couldn't have been any nicer. There was no problem at all.

When I finally arrived back at my hotel, they at least let me eat since I already had a room there.

Don't let that happen to you!

The unpleasant thing about Israel was the food. It was the worst food I've ever had in my life, no matter where I went. I thought I was going to find New York style delis on virtually every street corner. Not so! Everything is middle eastern food.

I think it's a trip well worth doing. I wouldn't go again, but I'm glad I went once.

Guest fountainhall
As an aside, Peter Ustinov was staying there. I got to meet him

I wonder if you ever got to meet him again in Bangkok? In his later years, he always stayed at the Oriental Hotel over New Year.

LOL, what's so bad about Middle Eastern food?

I thought it was just terrible. I didn't like it, anyway. The only food item I really enjoyed was falafel, but how many times can you eat the same thing before you're tired of it.

I wonder if you ever got to meet him again in Bangkok? In his later years, he always stayed at the Oriental Hotel over New Year.

No, that was the one and only time I ever met him and I'm grateful for the experience. Years ago when Yul Brynner was on tour with "The King and I," the show came to Ft. Lauderdale. He was a slightly different type. One of my mother's friends was in a grocery store near the theater, picking out oranges. Suddenly she realized that Yul Brynner was standing right next to her, also picking out oranges. She said to him, "Excuse me, aren't you Yul Brynner?" Without even casting a glance in her direction he said, "You are correct." She tried to say how she admires him and loves the show. He wouldn't even look at her. No response of any kind at all, as if she wasn't even there.

I can understand how celebrities can get sick and tired of fans bothering them all the time, but nobody twisted their arms to go into show business. I would think they ought to realize that if they achieve stardom, then dealing with fans and people who recognize them is part of it. It wouldn't have hurt him to simply say, "Thank you" and go on about his business. The woman probably would have been thrilled instead of having her feelings hurt.

On the other hand, I've spotted plenty of showbiz and political celebrities in my life and sometimes I would say something and sometimes not. I never was completely ignored. Sometimes it would be a thank-you and that was all. I expected nothing more. But that experience with Peter Ustinov was unforgettable. He made me feel as if he very much appreciated me speaking to him and he treated me as if I was a friend. It was so nice to know he was such a charming person in real life.

Guest lvdkeyes

When Katherine Hepburn was touring in Coco, she came to Chicago. I had a friend whose father was the stage manager and he managed to get me good seats for the show. We had to go backstage before the show to get the tickets. While we were there "SHE" came in and one of the stage hands said to her, "Miss Hepburn, I have a letter for you." He handed to her and she looked at it and said, "You spelled my name wrong." He said, "Oh, sorry, how do you spell it?" She said. If you can't spell my name you shouldn't be writing to me." , and gave a very phony grin. The poor guy (older man) was visibly crushed. That's when my opinion of the late great Kate diminished.