Gaybutton

More than 1-Million Child Prostitutes in India

Official: More than 1M Child Prostitutes in India

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Around 1.2 million children are believed to be involved in prostitution in India, the country's federal police said Monday.

Ashwani Kumar, who heads the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), told a seminar on human trafficking, that India occupied a "unique position" as what he called a source, transit nation and destination of this trade.

India's home secretary Madhukar Gupta remarked that at least 100 million people were involved in human trafficking in India.

"The number of trafficked persons is difficult to determine due to the secrecy and clandestine nature of the crime.

"However, studies and surveys sponsored by the ministry of women and child development estimate that there are about three million prostitutes in the country, of which an estimated 40 percent are children," a CBI statement said.

Prostitution in pilgrim towns, exploitation through sex tourism and pedophilia are some of some of the "alarming trends" that have emerged in recent years in India, it noted.

Authorities believe 90 percent of human trafficking in India is "intra-country."

Guest shebavon

Funny, with all that action, when I was in India for 3 weeks, I didn't even get one proposition. I barely get out of the airport in Thailand before the first opportunity.

Guest taylorsquare

sHEBAVON,

Find anything interesting in India?

I heard they dont have a gay scene as such,but what about gay4pay guys?

Any good cruising areas?

I don't know a thing about India myself, but a good indicator, I think, is the fact that there are plenty of boys advertising themselves on Gay Romeo.

I just did a Google search for "Gay India." Plenty of web sites come up.

Guest shebavon
sHEBAVON,

Find anything interesting in India?

Any good cruising areas?

Frankly, when I was there it was mostly on a tour. So whirlwind that I really did not have time to look. However, I too noticed a large number of Gay Romeo postings from India.

Some look really hot. Oh well, maybe next time I get there.

I have always wanted to visit India but the squalor that I see on TV has always turned me off.

Anyone see the story of the Slumdog Millionaire kid who's house was just bulldozed this week?

Guest BobbO
Anyone see the story of the Slumdog Millionaire kid who's house was just bulldozed this week?

I think it's a crime that the producers of Slumdog have left their young stars in the same squallor where they found them. I've heard the parents have turned down offers, but the kids are still wading through sewage. Hard to believe that those kids all dressed up on the Red Carpet had to go back to the slums.

Guest mlomker
I think it's a crime that the producers of Slumdog have left their young stars in the same squallor where they found them.

I'm not sure where you got that information. I read that they created an $8M fund to pay for educational expenses, etc. Would they have been better off if the story wasn't told?

You should open your own wallet if you are concerned. There are plenty of poor right in Thailand, no need to visit India.

Guest fountainhall
I have always wanted to visit India but the squalor that I see on TV has always turned me off

Much depends on which parts you visit. Personally, I saw nothing in India that repelled me as much as the slums and the kids on the rubbish dumps in Manila. Frankly, by not going to India you are denying yourself the opportunity of seeing the glories of Rajasthan. I defy anyone not to be totally amazed at the stunning palaces and forts in cities like Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodphur, to say nothing of Agra with the Taj Mahal and the extraordinary 'dead' city of Fatehpur Sikri. Although I did not visit Varanasi and its myriad of erotic temple carvings, all my friends who have been say it should definitely be on everyone's itinerary.

Give Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkotta (Bombay and Calcutta to us older guys) a miss if you wish (although even Mumbai has the architectural glories of the Raj which remain stunning), but don't let what you have read deny you the chance of visiting totally unique Rajasthan.