Guest GaySacGuy

Giuliani skips out on Gay Friend's Wedding

Guest GaySacGuy

Agay news blog reported the following, and was placed on My Yahoo page.

May 03, 2009

Rudy Giuliani Skips Gay Friends' Wedding

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani was a last-minute no-show at the wedding of his former roommates -- a gay couple -- yesterday.

It was a disappointment for Queens car dealer Howard Koeppel and his longtime lover, Mark Hsaio, who tied the knot in a double-ring ceremony before 10 guests in Westport, Conn.

The couple famously let the ex-mayor crash at their luxury $2.37 million three-bedroom Manhattan apartment while he was going through a nasty divorce with Donna Hanover in 2001. Later, Giuliani married the "other woman," Judith Nathan.

"Rudy and Judith were both invited with a beautiful written invitation by mail," said Koeppel. "His secretary called Thursday and said he was not able to come to the wedding and wished us all the best."

Apparently he's no Harvey Milk, which is a shame. I would imagine his friends feel betrayed, and rightly so, that they were snubbed so that Giuliani could rack up some points with the homophobes. He didn't even inform them himself. He had a secretary do that for him. Since informing them was in advance of the wedding, then it seems obvious to me that even if he really had to be somewhere else, he could have scheduled that "somewhere else" for a different day or not gone at all if he had accepted the invitation from his friends.

I used to have a hell of a lot of respect for Giuliani. He just lost it.