Guest Astrrro

Gay marriage row at Miss USA show

Guest Astrrro

Gay marriage row at Miss USA show

The runner-up at the Miss USA beauty pageant says her outspoken opposition to gay marriage cost her first place in the competition.

During the televised event, Carrie Prejean - Miss California - said she believed that "a marriage should be between a man and a woman".

She had been asked for her views on the subject by one of the judges, celebrity blogger Perez Hilton.

"It did cost me my crown," said Ms Prejean, after the competition.

The eventual winner of the pageant was Kristen Dalton, Miss North Carolina.

'Alienated'

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage," said Ms Prejean, in a section of the show that has become a popular clip on YouTube.

"I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," she continued.

"No offence to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

The remarks drew a mixture of booing and applause from the audience.

Speaking after the show, which was broadcast on Sunday evening in the US, Ms Prejean said: "I wouldn't have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that's all I can do."

Hilton said he had been "floored" by Ms Prejean's answer, which, he said, "alienated millions of gay and lesbian Americans, their families and their supporters".

He told ABC News: "She lost it because of that question. She was definitely the front-runner before that."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, released a statement condemning Ms Prejean's comments.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman."

The issue of same-sex marriage is a flashpoint in American politics.

Four US states now allow gay marriage, but many other states have passed legislation outlawing it.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/8009359.stm

Guest xiandarkthorne

Lucky Americans to be able to even ask a question like that on national TV. Same gender marriage might not be legal in every state but at least it isn't considered unspeakable much less undiscussable by 'decent folk'.

I'm gay and I find no fault whatsoever with her views (not that dissimilar to mine). I've always understood that a marriage was between a man and a woman and that too is how I was raised.

While I'm not fan of the beauty pageants, her legitmately-held views shouldn't have affected the outcome; unfortunately, bias and prejudice runs both ways.

Guest lvdkeyes

Political candidates lose votes because of their personal opinions; why should beauty pageant contestants be any different?

I was not raised to be gay, but I am. I don't hold all things I was told while growing up to be without question.

Seems rather normal to hold a political candidate to task for whatever views they hold as those views usually can tell you something about how the candidate would vote. While I don't particularly cotton to the whole concept of "beauty" contests (seems rather tacky to me), being "pretty", "talented", and "articulate" (rarely, unfortunately) doesn't seem to be in the same category. Not much different in my opinion how one should deal with the political views of a person hired to be an electrician, butcher, beautician, or whatever (i.e., their political views ought to be irrelevant to their hiring or firing).

I can understand and somewhat support the concept of some form of equal rights (relating to economic rights, testacy rights, etc.) for gay couples; however, a marriage has been considered by all cultures for thousands of years to be between a man and a woman and, while those cultures and countries can choose to try to change that through legislation or whatever, that doesn't alter what's been understood and accepted by 90%+ of the world since the beginning of time.

Most marriages fail and the aftermath (not to mention the "during-math") is often rather ugly. I wouldn't wish that part on anybody. I don't accept that the existence or the practice of love or affection has anything to do with whether some government gave you a certificate.

Like it or not, we gays are not the norm (maybe 5% of the population?) and we never will be. While that doesn't mean anybody ought to be able to target us because of our differing lifestyles, the implied demand or notion that society is required to view us just like everybody else seems rather silly to me.

Guest MonkeySee
Seems rather normal to hold a political candidate to task for whatever views they hold as those views usually can tell you something about how the candidate would vote. While I don't particularly cotton to the whole concept of "beauty" contests (seems rather tacky to me), being "pretty", "talented", and "articulate" (rarely, unfortunately) doesn't seem to be in the same category. Not much different in my opinion how one should deal with the political views of a person hired to be an electrician, butcher, beautician, or whatever (i.e., their political views ought to be irrelevant to their hiring or firing).

I disagree. The organizers of the pageant hold Miss USA or Miss America up as the "best of America." Although many may disagree with this, I think many young people may strive to be just like Miss USA/America. So if the organizers do not want a bigot a like Anita Bryant to represent them, then they are within their rights to ask politically sensitive questions and vote accordingly.

Like it or not, we gays are not the norm (maybe 5% of the population?) and we never will be. While that doesn't mean anybody ought to be able to target us because of our differing lifestyles, the implied demand or notion that society is required to view us just like everybody else seems rather silly to me.

In the 1800's, blacks were not the norm in America (maybe less than 5% of the population?). I guess it would be rather silly to say our forefathers should have viewed them like everybody else...human beings.

A fair amount of illogical and, frankly, goofy thinking going on here.

Same-sex marriages have never been the norm and never will be. The notion that everybody ought to view a same-sex marriage the same as what we all understood as a "traditional" marriage is advocating a "political correctness" that doesn't exist. Nor should it (why the hell should 95% of the population be compelled in any manner to accept the views of maybe 5% of the population as either acceptable or the norm?).

I have sex with other men. While I ought not to be punished for that, I'm not foolish enough to think that most people ought to accept that as normal because, frankly, it isn't. That comment is not putting a "moral" spin on it, it's simply stating a fact.

Everybody views life as it ought to be based on where they currently are situated. The Pattaya gay crowd incorrectly view that Thais in general think this is normal or acceptable (but, then again, if you spend a large chunk of your time in Boyztown or surrounding areas, I suppose it's normal for you to think all of Thailand is like that). It isn't. Kudos to the Thais for their toleration - but one should never view that toleration as approval of any of it.

Guest MonkeySee

I will have to agree about a fair amount of illogical and goofy thinking going on here.

The notion that just because traditional marriage has been around for centuries, it therefore ought to continue “as is,” is very conservative, in my humble opinion.

Bill O’Rielly and the like will fight tooth and nail for this conservative view on marriage. This view will change in time. The fight may take generations, but I feel it will happen. Look at slavery. Slavery was considered the norm for thousands of years, but societies came around to the fact that all humans should have certain rights.

Your life view is important. I dare say the majority of the conservatives find it hard to think for themselves and depend upon the church and others to think for them. I am not sure why the Thais are more open-minded, but perhaps Buddhism is more tolerating than Christianity?

This beauty contest is an example of the start of just the beginning of this change in thinking about traditional marriage as more than just a man and a woman. Advocating political correctness is a start. A few forward thinking states and law-makers changing their laws is another start. Eventually, I should think society in general, will also change on this issue, whether you call it gay marriage or civil union. Conservatives will fight change, but it will happen in time. Look how things have changed with gay rights, women’s liberation and sexual freedom.