Guest MonkeySee

US and Thailand Are Reported as Allies in Torture

Guest MonkeySee

Months before the September 11, 2001, terror attacks on New York and Washington, the US and Thailand established the Counterterrorism Intelligence Center (CTIC), a secretive unit presciently which joined the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and Thai intelligence officials to gather information about regional terror groups.

The CIA ran a secret interrogation facility at a Thai military base where at least two terror suspects from Pakistan and Afghanistan were transported and later tortured.

Full story at: http://atimes01.atimes.com/atimes/Southeas...a/JA25Ae01.html

None of these revelations come as any surprise to me. I fully expect that as time goes on more and more will be revealed. I can't help but wonder how much went on in the past that we know nothing about and how much is going on right now that we don't know about. One thing is most likely certain, it still goes on no matter how much the government denies it and tells us it doesn't happen. I can't help but feel that sooner or later we're going to find out about government sponsored atrocities that make Abu Ghraib seem like a picnic in the park. Guantanamo is bad enough, but lord-only-knows what goes on in secret facilities.

Quite frankly, if these goings-on really do prevent and expose terrorist plots, without anyone innocent getting tortured, then I'm all for it. If these animals who don't mind killing and maiming dozens of totally innocent victims can be stopped, then if the only way to extract information is via torture, then I don't see where the government has much choice if it really works, if there is no other way, and if innocent people are not victims of it. But all three of those 'ifs' have to be there as far as I'm concerned.

It all reminds me of a scene in the film "Conspiracy," which was a dramatization of the Wansee Conference in which the Nazis formulated their plans for death camp gas chambers:

Dr. Kritzinger: "That we have undertaken to systematically annihilate all the Jews of Europe has been personally denied to me by the Fuhrer!"

Heydrich: "And, it will continue to be."