reader

99 economists go public to oppose digital cash handout

New PM Srettha's honeymoon experienced its first major bump when 99 economist came out against his much-heralded plan to give every Thai 16 and above an injection of 10,000 baht via a new digital wallet scheme in hopes of stimulating the economy.

From The Nation

The Srettha Thavisin government is in the process of implementing an election campaign promise of handing out 10,000 baht to Thai citizens aged 16 years and above, to be spent in a limited area within six months, with the aim of giving the economy a push.

The economic experts, however, argue that it was “not worth the cost”. They advanced the following reasons, according to a Krungthep Thurakij news report:

Continues at

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40031677

I think government goes for it because giving everybody flat amount is fairly easy to implement. 

Certainly it will help a lot of people as Thailand is still relatively poor society but may create spike in prices. And a lot of affluent people won't even notice it but money will be still spent on their part of handouts.

Since money will be given in digital form I can imagine  a lot of people won't know how to go about it and it will create opportunity for crooks to 'help' them for sizable chunk of it as "commission". 

But despite all of that I think expenditure is still worth of seeing smiles on a lot of people's faces , we all like Santa Claus even if we don't believe in him.