reader

Thaksin's daughter ready to be new Pheu Thai leader

From The Nation

Paetongtarn Shinawatra said on Tuesday she is ready to become the next leader of Pheu Thai if the party chooses her to succeed Cholnan Srikaew, who quit on August 30.

Cholnan had promised to resign as leader if the party formed a government with the Palang Pracharath or United Thai Nation parties, which it duly did.

Paetongtarn, the daughter of former premier and Pheu Thai patriarch Thaksin Shinawatra, was speaking at an event to mark the party’s 16th anniversary at Pheu Thai headquarters on Tuesday.

“I will accept [the party’s decision] if there is a more suitable candidate for leader,” she said, responding to questions from journalists who noted that some senior party members are endorsing new-generation politicians like her as potential Pheu Thai leaders.

“However, if the party chooses me as the next leader I would gladly accept the invitation,” she said, adding that she was set on achieving the party’s goals and had no doubt about her capacity to be its leader.

Paetongtarn said she was looking into the possibility of applying to suspend Thaksin’s remaining jail term in order for him to receive medical care at home, but had yet to file the application.