reader

Thailand Named Ninth-Best Retirement Destination

From Pattaya News

Thailand ranked in ninth place among the best countries for retirement. This recognition comes from the International Living magazine, which publishes an annual Global Retirement Index ranking the best retirement destinations.

Among the listed countries in the 2023 index, Thailand stands alongside Portugal, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece, and France, and tied with Italy. Notably, Thailand is the only Asian country in this group.

International Living has this to say about Thailand: “Thailand’s expat appeal is that it offers an affordable cost of living yet manifests an enriched way of life…. Probably the best deals to be had in Thailand are in real estate. Foreigners are able to buy condos very easily and there are bargains everywhere…. Another enormous advantage to living in Thailand is by far the healthcare facilities.”

1 hour ago, reader said:

Among the listed countries in the 2023 index, Thailand stands alongside Portugal, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece, and France, and tied with Italy. Notably, Thailand is the only Asian country in this group.

International Living has this to say about Thailand: “Thailand’s expat appeal is that it offers an affordable cost of living yet manifests an enriched way of life…. Probably the best deals to be had in Thailand are in real estate. Foreigners are able to buy condos very easily and there are bargains everywhere…. Another enormous advantage to living in Thailand is by far the healthcare facilities.”

With the heat presently being experienced in Spain, France, Italy and Greece, I wonder if anyone in their late 50s or early 60s would be taking a gamble that the temperatures are not going to rise significantly over the course of their retirement.

In the past Portugal, which in fact is #1 on that list in the 2023 Index with Thaland at #9,  has had occasional fires, but I think not many. On average its temperatures are much below those of neighbouring Spain. My only visit was in late September when the weather was extemely pleasant during the day and quite cool at night. I now know four Asians who have moved to Portugal, three to retire and one with a view to retirement. All say it's an amazing country and a good deal cheaper than most others. The financial requirements for retirement are also vastly lower than Thailand, for example. At present the first year requires a bank deposit of less than €10,000 or US$11,250. Taking the annual one year payment rather than the monthly route, Thailand requires $23,400 for 5 months reducing to $11,700 for 7. But unlike in Portugal, this cannot be touched! 

I believe also the charge in Portugal is less for second and subsequent years. From your very first day, you are in the Schengen Zone making travel to other countries in the zone so easy. After 5 years you are entitled to become a permanent resident. That then gives you access to the free health service. There is also a vast number of towns and villages outside Lisbon and Porto where the cost of living is less. Plus the sea and beaches are never far away. And all that is before you start thinking about some of the excellent Portuguese wine!

I literally flipped a coin when I moved to Mexico, it was between there and Thailand. Then I made a list of comparisons....language, political stableness, ease of obtaining residency and maintaining it, distance to USA in case I needed to return for an emergency (which I've done several times)....so Mexico was the obvious choice in the end.

One of my friends spent the last year or so traveling around Europe as a bit of a nomad since he is able to work from anywhere. He has Portuguese roots so he spent quite a bit of time there and really enjoyed it. I think his plan is to retire there. 

I expect to retire in about 2.5 years from now. I've been thinking a bit about what to do, especially if the political situation in the US keeps going to hell. But I guess every place has it's pros and cons. I'm probably more inclined to split my time rather than going all in on retiring abroad.

7 hours ago, floridarob said:

I literally flipped a coin when I moved to Mexico, it was between there and Thailand. Then I made a list of comparisons....language, political stableness, ease of obtaining residency and maintaining it, distance to USA in case I needed to return for an emergency (which I've done several times)....so Mexico was the obvious choice in the end.

The income test for legal permanent residency in Mexico is high, higher than many expats can afford.  Correct me if I'm wrong:  I believe it's +/- US$60,000 verifiable annual income, or static annual investment / bank account balances of +/- US$220,000.  From what I observe, many expats are living in Mexico illegally (not suggesting floridarob is).

I moved to live in Thailand almost twelve years ago, and have never regretted that decision. In September I shall travel back to the disUnited Kingdom for the first time since I moved, mainly to visit family and friends and visit the place I was born and grew up in Scotland. It is going to eat up half of my savings or more as the costs in the UK are astronomical. Afternoon Tea in my favourite Browns Hotel in London is now 90 quid a head (4,000 Baht)!!!