Guest fountainhall

Lost bags

Guest fountainhall

This from the yahoo website.

The UK's Air Transport Users Council (AUC) has said airlines mishandled 42 million bags worldwide in 2007, compared with 34 million in 2006 and 30 million in 2005.

Of the 42 million in 2007, about 1.2 million bags, or around one bag for every 2,000 passengers, were never seen again by their owners.

The AUC said that with annual air passenger numbers expected to double in the next decade, by 2019 airlines could be mishandling as many as 70 million bags a year.

Which prompts me to ask - where do these lost bags end up? I know there is one place in the US where bags are sent after a period of months in limbo. But 1.2 MILLION??

Guest lvdkeyes
Which prompts me to ask - where do these lost bags end up? I know there is one place in the US where bags are sent after a period of months in limbo. But 1.2 MILLION??

A good reason to have some means of contact inside and out of your checked in bag just in case it is actually lost and not stolen.

Guest fountainhall

Excellent advice, lvdkeyes.

Also, baggage tags on the outside (two are better than one) should be pretty sturdy. I am constantly amazed seeing passengers with tag-less luggage frantically filling in those little paper-like tags on offer at the check-in desk. Such tags may seem not to tear easily, but they'd lose any argument with a blunt piece of metal anywhere in the baggage system.