reader

'Don’t want to live in Yangon anymore'

From Channel News Asia

BANGKOK: Myoe has no plan to go back to his homeland in Myanmar. 

A coup d’etat two years ago has thrown his country into turmoil and filled his future with uncertainty.

The raging civil war, persecution of dissidents and economic crisis made it hard for him to keep hoping that things would get better. The return of democracy began to feel like a distant dream as the weeks and months went by.

Sad and dejected, the 37-year-old quit his job in the telecommunication sector. He said goodbye to his family in Yangon and moved to Bangkok in March last year. 

“I'm very excited and enjoying it even though I'm stressed every day because I'm freelancing with no fixed income,” he told CNA.

Life in a foreign country is challenging for Myoe, who cannot speak Thai and has no regular income or work permit. He has to constantly fret over whether he can pay his rent on time, while searching for job opportunities that would allow him to work legally in Thailand. 

Still, he prefers it to returning home, where his future prospects seem bleak under military rule. 

Many Myanmar people share his view. There are signs that the country is suffering from a brain drain as professionals relocated overseas after the military under army chief Min Aung Hliang seized power on Feb 1, 2021.

Continues at

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/myanmar-professionals-brain-drain-thailand-property-3233031