KhorTose

Calling all Europeans, and knowledgeable expats

I am not bragging, but the amount of my retirement has gone up enough that I can now retire anywhere that would have me. If the S... should hit the fan and Thailand becomes too unstable, I would like to know where others might think would be a good safe place to retire outside of the US.

While I love Asia and the boys, my heart yearns to see historical sites and great works of art. Therefore, Europe would be my second choice. My taste goes to cities like Barcelona, Florence, Paris, Amsterdamn, and London, but with the great rail system in Europe I could live cheaper outside of these places and still get anywhere. Any suggestions in mind that you know or have heard of?

Eastern Europe can be included.

It's difficult for me to conjure up a scenario where Thailand becomes too unstable for expats/foreigners (unless you like to hang around the airport or government buildings in Bangkok). One could always get out if things ever got too crazy here but I can't see making choices now based on the possibility that it would happen.

Now, if you're interested in historical things, just stay home and look in the mirror! (just a little humor, KT....).

Guest lvdkeyes

If Europe is your choice and money is no object, I would suggest Switzerland. It is a beautiful country and is basically in the center of Europe and easy access to many historic sites around Europe.

Guest fountainhall
If Europe is your choice and money is no object, I would suggest Switzerland

lvdkeyes is right: it's extraordinarily beautiful, the air is fresh, food good - but it is expensive. And friends tell me the Swiss generally are not as openly hospitable as, say, some other countries. Most of the people I know who have moved there are in the very rich - mega rich category!

On the plus side, it's part of the Schengen Group of countries. This permits borderless travel between the 25 Countries in the European Union - except the UK and Ireland. Although Switzerland is not in the EU, it did sign the Schengen Agreement and so travel out and in is easy.

I have spent time in all the cities you mention and would not hesitate to recommend them - except London, and that only for the weather! It can be lovely in the Spring and Fall, miserable in the winter and too hot in the summer (not many houses/apartments have air conditioning). Barcelona, though, whilst an extraordinary city, is not really in the hub of Europe and travelling to and from would take more time. If I wanted to travel around a lot, I'd prefer to be more centrally based.

Another thing all the cities have in common is they were very expensive before the present crash. Florence is flooded with tourists most of the year and I cannot imagine actually living there. Better to find a villa with a garden and pool somewhere in Tuscany or Umbria where you are quite close to Florence or Arezzo and their main line train stations. Or just visit on some extended trips to Italy (because one will not be nearly enough).

To be more centrally located, you might look at central and southern France - the Provence area is gorgeous, wonderful climate, exquisite food and wine, so many ancient towns to visit and marvel at - southern Germany in the Munich/Augsburg area of Bavaria, or for a cheaper option the Czech Republic.

Wish I had your retirement fund!

Now, if you're interested in historical things, just stay home and look in the mirror! (just a little humor, KT....).

Fountainhall, not really rich, and my investments are just as down as everyone's elses. I just do not need them for an annuity anymore, and can get by in most of Europe. I have been all over Europe, but never been to Switzerland or the German countries. Just curious where would be a good place to run to, if I had too.

Bob, all the mirrors were removed 10 years ago when they started lying to me. I know I still look young. Every boy I've picked up in Thailand has told me how young I look, and you know they wouldn't lie (weeelllll, I may have overtipped a little).

I hope you are right about Thailand, but I am not quite as confident. Of course, if I lived in Hua Hin where the nightly excitement is watching the tide come in, I might be lulled into a false sense of security myself. It is true that 2nd street in Hua Hin is in another town, and don't you feel trapped when main street has two dead ends. :rolleyes:

cheers--say hi to smiles

Of course, if I lived in Hua Hin where the nightly excitement is watching the tide come in, I might be lulled into a false sense of security myself. It is true that 2nd street in Hua Hin is in another town, and don't you feel trapped when main street has two dead ends. :rolleyes:

cheers--say hi to smiles

I'll pass along your greetings to Khun Smiles.

Now, watching the tide come in during the late afternoon isn't all that bad. Sitting on your lounge under an umbrella, sipping a Chang lek, and watching the locals frolic in the surf. Not all that bad.

Hey, we've got 3 host bars here and the Chang lek tastes pretty good there too.

Okay, I've got to go (nap time....).

Guest fountainhall
Every boy I've picked up in Thailand has told me how young I look, and you know they wouldn't lie

Wow! Must be the same ones I've picked up :lol:

never been to Switzerland or the German countries

Then I'd opt for Bavaria. From there it's easy to get by train to Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, northern Germany, Italy, France etc. Ludwig's castles, Berchtesgaden and lots more are on your doorstep; Salzburg, Innsbruck, the Austrian Tyrol, the amazing Dolomites and Zurich are a quick hop away; and you are at one end of the beautiful 'Romantic Road' which runs most of the way up to Frankfurt.

Munich is quite a gay town, but nowhere will you find the sort of gay nightlife you get here - nor attractive and attentive Thai boys. As you'll know, in Europe you're basically an also-ran once you hit around 50.

Guest lvdkeyes
As you'll know, in Europe you're basically an also-ran once you hit around 50.

In the US when you hit 40 you are considered over the hill in the gay community. For some unknown reason we become "desirable" again at about 60, and I don't mean with the money boys.

In the US when you hit 40 you are considered over the hill in the gay community. For some unknown reason we become "desirable" again at about 60, and I don't mean with the money boys.

Where is this we become desirable over 60 in the USA? Sure does not work in Seattle.

Guest lvdkeyes
Where is this we become desirable over 60 in the USA? Sure does not work in Seattle.

Try Palm Springs, CA. Also on the internet.