Guest fountainhall

Have you ever flown Ryanair?

Guest fountainhall

Can you believe this??? Seen today on the yahoo website.

"Irish carrier Ryanair, Europe's largest budget airline, might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, chief executive Michael O'Leary said on Friday.

'One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future,' he told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. 'I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound.'

O'Leary has a reputation as a cost cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

'We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel,' he said."

Guest fountainhall

I have now seen this 'plan' on other news sites, so it's not just a joke. Yes, it's insane, the more so when it will probably reduce on board consumption of expensive drinks. Mind you, it might also lead to other uses for empty soft drink cans on board. :o

Mind you, it might also lead to other uses for empty soft drink cans on board.

That's an idea. I prefer the simple approach. I'll just leave a nice turd for them out in the aisle.

Hasn't it occurred to this airline that people would probably prefer to pay a few cents more for their ticket than to have to put a coin in the slot to use a toilet?

Ryanair Considers Charging Passengers to Pee

LONDON, England (CNN) --

The ever budget-conscious boss of Ryanair has suggested the discount airline may start charging passengers for using the toilet on board its flights.

Michael O'Leary said the airline had revived inquiries into whether the airline could install coin-operated toilets on its fleet.

"People might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he said in a BBC interview, adding "We're always in Ryanair looking at the ways of constantly lowering the costs of air travel and making it more affordable and easier for passengers to fly with us."

Asked by the incredulous presenter what passengers would do if they found themselves without money mid-flight, O'Leary replied: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound." Sound Off: Is it fair to charge a fee for a flush?

The Irish airline is renowned for its cheap flights and regularly advertises competition-crushing deals to boost capacity on its short-haul routes.

The company has made no secret of its quest to boost revenue by any means possible. It already charges for food and each bag checked into the hold is subject to a fee.

Last week Ryanair announced plans to remove all its check-in counters in an effort to encourage travelers to take just one piece of hand-luggage.

Ryanair's latest revenue-raising proposal has surprised few in the industry who are accustomed to its method of business.

"It seems Ryanair is prepared to plumb any depth to make a fast buck and, once again, is putting profit before the comfort of its customer," said Rochelle Turner, Head of Research at Which? Holiday.

The consumer group also warned that move might hit Ryanair where it hurts.

"Charging people to go to the toilet might result in fewer people buying overpriced drinks on board, though -- that would serve Ryanair right," Turner said.

The other force at work here is that that among airlines that have first class, making economy undesirable relative to first class can be extremely profitable. It pushes price insensitive folks like rich people, or people who aren't paying for their own flight (business class) to the place where paying 10x the price for a bit more comfort makes sense. So by making economy a terrible place to be, rich folks fork over extraordinary amounts of cash just to escape the masses suffering in economy."

Guest fountainhall
, making economy undesirable relative to first class can be extremely profitable

Which no doubt is why many long haul airlines have installed that fourth cabin - premium economy.

I wonder how long first class will remain (apart from on US airlines where first class is worse than premium economy on other airlines). Seems to me that the business class products being rolled out, with flat bed seats, meals on demand etc., are such an improvement on what first class used to be, that I cannot imagine any other than the mega rich wanting and being prepared to pay for that extra bit of space.

Guest shebavon

I saw on Bloomberg that Ryanair is contemplating pay toilets on their flights. Can't help but wonder if they will be serving food to stimulate the "runs"? :D

Guest fountainhall

I think everyone is scrambling to make their last posts before the competition ends tonight because this is actually the 3rd thread to be opened on this subject in 24 hours!!

I've never flown Ryannair. It may be Europe's largest airlineby traffic volume but they don't fly to Asia.

I think everyone is scrambling to make their last posts before the competition ends tonight because this is actually the 3rd thread to be opened on this subject in 24 hours!!

I've never flown Ryannair. It may be Europe's largest airlineby traffic volume but they don't fly to Asia.

I didn't mean to duplicate a post. But I can't find one posted on this forum. Actually I would have posted this after the competition anyway. I think it is a sign of the times.

And a bit amusing

Guest shebavon
Now all three threads are merged into this one.

Good job on the combo, though I don't think you picked the best Subject title for this thread.

We are all going anal on the flying pay toilets java script more than the idea of flying Ryanair. That was why I posted my own thread. I did not realize another covered this urgent question.

I for one, would avoid using such an outfit that even contemplated such contempt for their customers.

Guest fountainhall
Don't forget to save some change for the toll booth they'll set up on the jetway as you're about to enter the aircraft

. . . and the one as you enter to pay the pilot enough to fly the bloody thing!

Guest MonkeySee

I have never flown Ryanair but glad that there are more options than just the big boys. I think it is a good idea to have a no-frills airline and if pay toilets keep them in the air, then so be it. You guys that think it is so bad can continue flying British Airways.

Guest lvdkeyes
I have never flown Ryanair but glad that there are more options than just the big boys. I think it is a good idea to have a no-frills airline and if pay toilets keep them in the air, then so be it. You guys that think it is so bad can continue flying British Airways.

OR we can protest this ridiculous idea and make them back down.

Guest fountainhall
You guys that think it is so bad can continue flying British Airways

If you book a few months in advance, BA has a lot of cheap seats available - even cheaper than Ryannair routes when you tot up all the charges! Plus no turds on seats!

Guest MonkeySee
OR we can protest this ridiculous idea and make them back down.

Probably best to vote with your feet. Go elsewhere. If enough people feel they way you do, they will get the message.

Guest Astrrro

They will also need to have flight attendants guard the toilets so that one can enter while another is leaving to save the charge.

Perhaps they can get some of the old ladies who guard the bogs at Pattaya beer bar complexes.

But it's better to give some things away for free. Wifi might be one example. Some coffee shops charge and some give it away. I suspect iot's more effective to just give it away but charge a little more for coffee.

It has nothing to do with Thailand, but it gets definite "Honorable Mention" (or maybe that should be "Dishonorable Mention") on my "I Don't Get It" list. Whatever their reasons are, whoever came up with and approved this idea must think stupidity is a virtue. I wonder if the toilets near the gates at airports Ryan Air services are also being converted to pay toilets. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a supply of adult diapers prior to a Ryan Air flight. The customs officials will have a heart attack if they decide to strip search me!

All I know is if I found myself on a flight on which you actually had to pay to use a toilet, then I'd ask a cabin steward for a large empty cup. Later I'd give it back and point out the fact that now the cup is full! The barf bags might get a little extra use too, unless of course you also have to give Ryan Air a few coins for those . . .

Some people asked how people carrying only foreign coins can use the toilet. Maybe they sell tokens before you board the aircraft. Maybe, for a price, they give you the magic incantation for the day. You stand in front of the toilet door and recite the incantation. "Om maggi haggi baggi nooga." And now the toilet door opens.

Guest MonkeySee

I think the pay toilet issue on RyanAir is similiar to go-go bars employing underage dancers, not a good idea. Best solution is vote with your feet and do not use the airline or bar.

Guest fountainhall
I think the pay toilet issue on RyanAir is similiar to go-go bars employing underage dancers, not a good idea.

I'll happily pay extra to any airline that employs go-go boys providing live in-flight entertainment. That way, maybe there'll be long queues for the new pay toilets - but perhaps they'll be put to other uses :o Whatever, the airline will certainly make extra cash.