Gaybutton

Imagine How Much Thaksin Will Get

The following appears in THE NATION:

_____

Ex Post-Officeman Gets 50 Years

By The Nation

Published on February 28, 2009

The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a former postoffice official to 50 years in jail for embezzling nearly Bt300,000.

Komkrit "Soranat" Wongsasing took Bt299,674 from 24 money orders between November 16, 2000 and March 2, 2001 when processing money orders at Dusit Post Office.

Komkrit, 32, has returned the money to Cat Telecom, which organises money orders via post offices.

"I was too young to realise I was doing wrong. I was worried about taking care of my elderly parents," he said.

Because Komkrit pleaded guilty, the court commuted his sentence from 100 years.

He was convicted of abuse of authority and corruption.

Komkrit was arrested on November 18 last year.

A rather appalling result in my view. This guy, 8-9 years ago (when he was 23-24) apparently steals the equivalent of about $8,000.00 US, he confesses, and the article notes he's paid the money back.

Still, 50 years in prison for that.

According to an article by Kiettibhom Sangsasitorn titled "Sentencing Guidelines On Offenses Against Property", Thailand's courts have no sentencing guidelines and apparently the process provides no or little pre-sentence investigations to assist the trial judge in formulating an appropriate sentence. In this particular case, it would appear the defendant faced a "hanging" judge with no sense of proportionality. Rather pathetic, shocking, and third-world in my opinion.

Hey Bob, this is Thailand. Yes, he confessed, yes he was sorry, yes he paid back the graft, but did he give the judge enough money? Justice is not cheap in Thailand. He would have done a whole lot better paying the judge, rather then paying back the theft, and I cannot understand why he did not. :excl:

Guest fountainhall
did he give the judge enough money? Justice is not cheap in Thailand.

I'm sure KhorTose's right. Remember whatisname . . . Toxin? Didn't his wife's lawyer hand over 2 million Baht cash in a lunchbox to a court official? Unfortunately for her, she found the one good apple in the cart and he reported it. Still, if I recall correctly, Mrs. T's land deal was worth about 785 million - so the going rate for 'justice' is about one quarter of 1%. By that reckoning, if the post office official had just paid over Bt. 20.50, he'd be scott free now. :o