Guest MonkeySee

Komodo Dragon Attack

Guest MonkeySee

I had on my list of things to see, the Komodo Dragons in Indonesia. I may have to re-do my list after reading the following story by associated press writer, Irwan Firdaus.

JAKARTA, Indonesia – A Komodo dragon climbed a ladder to a park ranger's hut and mauled his hand and foot, officials said Wednesday. The victim received severe lacerations but appeared to be recovering.

The attack on Rinca, one of three islands where the world's largest lizard can be found in the wild, occurred Sunday when the animal entered the hut and lunged at the victim, who was sitting at his desk, said Daniel Ngongo, a Komodo National Park official.

The 46-year-old victim, Main, screamed for help and jumped onto his desk, clutching the neck of the still-snapping reptile. He then let go of the reptile and fled out the window as colleagues raced to his aid and used wooden sticks to force the dragon out of the hut.

Main, who like many Indonesians uses only one name, received more than 30 stitches, but appeared to be recovering.

"I'm lucky I survived," Main said from his hospital bed on nearby Bali island. "Nothing like this has ever happened to me ... in 25 years on the job. I've never been attacked."

Attacks on humans by Komodo dragons are rare. A Komodo dragon attacked and killed an 8-year-old boy in 2007 on Komodo island, the first recorded deadly attack on a human by one of the giant lizards in 33 years.

The reptile can grow up to 10 feet long (three meters) and weigh as much as 150 pounds (70 kilograms), have shark-like serrated teeth and a bite can be deadly. The reptile's saliva contains roughly 50 different known bacteria strains, so infection is a risk.

"He seems to be recovering," said nurse Adi Palguna. "He's been on antibiotics for the last three days, and there's no sign of toxin poisoning."

The reptiles, believed to number less than 4,000, can only be found in the wild on the eastern Indonesian islands of Komodo, Padar and Rinca.

Hell, this is easy just stay away from bulls, chimps, tigers, elephants and kimono dragons and you will be fine. Well that is until your neighbor's bit bull bites you head off. There is a show in the USA called animals gone wild, and any animal can hurt you if it gets mad. So next time you tease the dop next dog and take a broom to a cat in your garden, watch you ass or it may get bitten off.