Guest MonkeySee

Free Beverage Service Will Resume on March 1 on US Airways

Guest MonkeySee

ATLANTA – In the ultra-competitive airline industry, it's tough being out there alone as the only large network carrier to charge some passengers for soda, juice and coffee, especially in the middle of a deep economic recession that is sharply reducing demand for air travel.

US Airways is acknowledging as much, planning to announce Monday that free beverage service will resume on March 1 on board its planes.

The change, detailed in a memo to employees of the Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier sent Sunday evening by Chief Executive Doug Parker, reverses part of the a la carte business model the airline has trumpeted over the last year.

Full story at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090223/ap_on_...s_soda_reversal

Guest Astrrro

I don't mind paying for food as long as I'm able to bring my own food.

Air Asia won't let me bring my own food, but at those prices I'm not complaining.

At Thai movie theaters I'm sure they care much more about smuggled food than guys camcording tghe movies since the theater owner and the movie distributor have different agendas.

Guest fountainhall
US Airways is acknowledging as much, planning to announce Monday that free beverage service will resume on March 1 on board its planes

Yet most full-service airlines in Asia have been offering free drinks and meals from time immemorial!

I tend to agree with Astrrro that, depending on the airiine, I prefer to take a gourmet sandwich on board. Increasingly these are available at the airport, or I'll buy it from a delicatessen beforehand. I have snuck these also on to Air Asia. As long as you consume them before or after the attendants have passed through with the trolley cart, they'll never spot you. If necessary, just buy a coffee or soft drink and they'll not bother you.

Guest MonkeySee
Air Asia won't let me bring my own food, but at those prices I'm not complaining.

My Air Asia flight was very early and the Pinnacle was nice enough to make me a breakfast sandwich instead of the breakfast buffet. I did not know about the "no outside food policy." The attendants said nothing to me. Foutainhall's advice is good advice.