Guest Astrrro

Slumdog Takes Best Pic

Guest MonkeySee
Hope y'all enjoyed your Oscar parties!

Slumdog Millionairre took home 8 Oscars.

Hooray for Bollywood!

I haven't seen this one yet but it is on the list. I have seen Kate Winslet in the Reader and liked it. Doubt is also very good. Hope to see Milk soon, as well.

Guest shebavon

I was especially pleased by Sean Penn's acceptance for Milk. Not to mention the quip questioning how he played hetero roles all these years.

I suspect Faux News' Sean Insannity and Bill Orally will be having conniptions this coming morning. Especially over the kiss sequence with numerous Gay pecks.

I was especially pleased by Sean Penn's acceptance for Milk. Not to mention the quip questioning how he played hetero roles all these years.

I suspect Faux News' Sean Insannity and Bill Orally will be having conniptions this coming morning. Especially over the kiss sequence with numerous Gay pecks.

Completely agree with the above. I loved it, however.... I really like Sean Penn as an actor and he did a fantastic job in Milk, but I think the award to him was more to send a pro-gay liberal message. As a gay man I really appreciate the sentiment, but as a movie buff, I really think Frank Langella or Mickey Rourke should have got the Oscar.

Guest MonkeySee

I saw Slumdog last night on DVD. I think it would have been better on the big screen but I still liked it. A very well done movie. Hard to believe that it is classified as a low-budget film costing only $16 million to make. Perhaps because there were no big dollar stars, made that possible.

Guest Astrrro

Good films don't have to be expensive.

About 10 years ago, "In The Company of Men" was made for under a million. But it did have a low budget feel to it.

Guest shebavon
Completely agree with the above. I loved it, however.... I really like Sean Penn as an actor and he did a fantastic job in Milk, but I think the award to him was more to send a pro-gay liberal message. As a gay man I really appreciate the sentiment, but as a movie buff, I really think Frank Langella or Mickey Rourke should have got the Oscar.

The Surfer dude from Fast Times really grew up. His carrear is paved with memorable roles. I have not seen the wrestler movie yet, but Sean had a great performance as Milk. I love the quip at the Oscars asking Sean how he played all those hetero roles all these years.

Guest fountainhall
Hooray for Bollywood!

Why? The director, producers and most of the production crew are almost exclusively British!

Good films don't have to be expensive

"The Blair Witch Project" in 1999 was made for just $22,000 and scooped $240 million at the box office, thanks largely to a massive internet chat room marketing campaign. A fluke, perhaps, but I think it still holds the income/expenditure ratio record for movies - nearly 11,000 to 1.

In Pattaya, apparently the only way you're going to see "Slumdog Millionaire" is to buy a DVD. My information is that it will be shown in Bangkok, but not in Pattaya. Your guess is as good as mine as to why. I hear also that "Doubt" and "The Wrestler" will not be shown in Pattaya.

Guest MonkeySee
Why? The director, producers and most of the production crew are almost exclusively British

Because it spotlights India. Not only the many fine actors and actresses but it's social problems

"The Blair Witch Project" in 1999 was made for just $22,000 and scooped $240 million at the box office, thanks largely to a massive internet chat room marketing campaign. A fluke, perhaps, but I think it still holds the income/expenditure ratio record for movies - nearly 11,000 to 1.

You are right, "The Blair Witch Project" was something of a fluke and by no means in the league of Academy Award nominee or winner. For a mainstream film, "Slumdog" cost very little.

Guest lvdkeyes
In Pattaya, apparently the only way you're going to see "Slumdog Millionaire" is to buy a DVD. My information is that it will be shown in Bangkok, but not in Pattaya. Your guess is as good as mine as to why. I hear also that "Doubt" and "The Wrestler" will not be shown in Pattaya.

If enough people ask why it won't be shown here they may decide to show it. This is what happened with Mamma Mia.

Guest fountainhall
Because it spotlights India. Not only the many fine actors and actresses but it's social problems

Sure it spotlights India, but Bollywood it ain't. Bollywood is all fantasy song and dance - a dreamland far removed from real life.I've yet to see a Bollywood movie that highlights the country's social problems.