Guest Astrrro

Dollar Friendly Countries

Guest Astrrro

http://www.forbestraveler.com/luxury/budge...ries-story.html

Thailand did not make the list. I suppose one could make the case that it is not as dollar friendly as it used to be.

But Indonesia is not on the list either and the rupiah has depreciated vs the dollar.

Perhaps those that read Forbes Travel prefer to overpay but I'm back in Legian and paying 150,000 a night for a room with a pool and free wifi in the lobby.

It ain't the Ritz and still recommened the Courtyard for most folks to start out but if you're a confirmed cheap charlie taking a cheap Air Asia flight from the LOS, then the JeJe is worth checking out.

Interestingly enough, the country closest to Thailand that did make the list is Laos. Here's what the article says:

_____

Though the Lao kip has gained by 9% against the dollar, landlocked Laos continues to be plagued with the 8th least valued currency in the world. But this is a boon for tourists who wish to visit the former Kingdom of a Million Elephants and have a deeper Southeast Asian experience. The tiny mountainous Buddhist nation has seen a hit increase on Kayak.com of over 18% from ’07, and as its popularity surges, the luxury prices surge too.

Guest Astrrro

The way I see it is that at a certain point prices are low enough and infrastructure such as hospitals and wifi become more important.

For me, Thailand and Bali both have provide good value for the lifestyle I want.

While I'm sure one can live cheaply in Laos, I'd rather be in a more Westernized atmosphere.

Full disclosure: I've never been to Laos, maybe it's really great and I'm missing out.

Re Iceland, I'm sure it's cheaper than ever but if even they have rent boys, probably too expensive for me.

Laos continues to be plagued with the 8th least valued currency in the world.

Don't think the article expalins the methodology for the rankings.

Guest MonkeySee
Don't think the article explains the methodology for the rankings.

I don't know the methodology either, but most of southeast Asia seem very good value for the dollar. Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia are all countries that you can live very well for very little money.