Gaybutton

'Killing Fields' Trial Begins

Guest lvdkeyes
GW thought the bad guys had "weapons of mass destruction." What a joke!

SHRUB never thought Iraq had weapons of mass destruction; he was out to get Hussein because he said Hussein tried to kill his father.

Guest fountainhall
what sort of discouragement is that?

Re my earlier post, I'm wondering if there is any punishment that will actually make people seriously intent on mass murder, genocide, torture etc. think twice about it. I doubt it. I reckon most tyrants are not especially concerned about the consequences of their actions. So it doesn't matter what sanctions are or are not in place. they'll do their dirty deeds anyway.

This was a war to fatten the pockets of big business and contractors and oil people

I agree, although Bush's revenge probably figures somewhere in that unmitigated disaster. I wonder how much the drain on the economy caused by the war is a direct cause of the present economic mess?

Re my earlier post, I'm wondering if there is any punishment that will actually make people seriously intent on mass murder, genocide, torture etc. think twice about it. I doubt it.

I doubt it too. Throughout history the possibility of consequences doesn't seem to have stopped very many of them. That's probably because they think they're going to win whatever war they're in and/or because they think they'll keep their hold on power or the rest of their lives. The really scary ones are the tyrants who actually believe they are doing the right thing.