Guest fountainhall

Toxic Chemicals in Thailand's Water Supply

Guest fountainhall

This Commentary in today's Bangkok Post has some disturbing facts.

"Four decades after the Green Revolution which introduced heavy use of farm chemicals to increase productivity, it has become recognised worldwide how dangerous these chemicals are to our health.

Apart form killing the soil and contaminating the waterways as well as underground water, toxic residues permanently stay in the natural environment, causing great damage throughout the food chain.

. . . Thailand is among the heaviest users of toxic farm chemicals in S E Asia, And probably the most reckless.

Research shows that about 70% of chemical pesticides used in Thailand are not allowed in the West. They are also categorized by the World Health Organization as highly hazardous, if not extremely hazardous.

In just 2 decades, Thailand's use of chemical fertilizer has increased four-fold and chemical pesticides six-fold. As a result, 81% of all reservoir water is contaminated by DDT and other toxic substances."

I doubt if anyone living here actually drinks tap water. Those visiting should definitely avoid it.

Guest shebavon

Concerning the tap water, which the guide books advise you not even to use for rinse or for brushing of teeth, I fully recommend that if you are living here, you invest about 3000 baht for a "Reverse Osmosis Water Filter" which will render tap water fully drinkable, and save you considerable money and trouble, over using bottled water.

Just remember to have filters changed per recommended intervals.

I have been using one for four years now with good results.

Guest fountainhall
I fully recommend that if you are living here, you invest about 3000 baht for a "Reverse Osmosis Water Filter"

Is this the type that has its own on/off switch built in - i.e. you leave the water tap 'on' and control water flow from the filter? If so, there is one thing to watch out for - variable water pressure. One fitted to a friend's tap here was blown off early one morning by a sudden increase in pressure. This resulted in flooding of several apartments, huge embarrassment and considerable insurance payouts.