Guest MonkeySee

Body Language Can Signal a Person's Wealth

Guest MonkeySee

A flashy handbag or Armani suit can signal a person's wealth, but so can their body language, according to a new study. People of higher socioeconomic status are more rude when conversing with others.

Psychologists Michael Kraus and Dacher Keltner of the University of California, Berkeley, videotaped pairs of undergraduate students who were strangers to one another, during one-on-one interviews. In total, 100 undergraduate students participated.

The researchers then looked for certain gestures that indicate level of interest in the other person during one-minute slices of each conversation.

They found that students whose parents were from higher socioeconomic status (SES) backgrounds engaged in more of what he called "impolite" behaviors, such as grooming, doodling and fidgeting. Lower SES students showed more "I'm interested" gestures, including laughter and raising of the eyebrows.

Full story at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200902...gerevealswealth

Guest xiandarkthorne

Well, what did you expect? Did you think it's easy being rich? Who do you think's gotta think about the Rolls-Royce, the Bel-Air mansion, the designer suits, the tacky jewellery and the billions of reasons in the bank? And you still think they have time to be interested in the poor? Are those real people anyway? Well,...duh!

Guest MonkeySee
Well, what did you expect? Did you think it's easy being rich? Who do you think's gotta think about the Rolls-Royce, the Bel-Air mansion, the designer suits, the tacky jewellery and the billions of reasons in the bank? And you still think they have time to be interested in the poor? Are those real people anyway? Well,...duh!

There are many wealthy people that are polite, not only with their peers, but with the general population. I think many of the "new rich" are self-centered boobs concerned only with the mansion and fancy car.

Guest xiandarkthorne

I agree. There are many rich people who are warm, polite, generous and all round nice people but I was referring to the study group - undergraduates (read that as "people of a certain age"). And it's not even really their money until Daddy goes to that big bank in the sky.