Guest MonkeySee

Time to Buy a Car?

Guest MonkeySee

With the carmakers in a bad way, this might be a good time to buy a car. That is if you can afford it. Just read an article about the 10 most ticketed cars in America. Here they are:

10 Most Ticketed Cars

1. Hummer H2People who love the Hummer H2 probably love its bold, imposing looks. Apparently, cops love the H2 because it helps them meet their ticket quotas. Here's a tip: If you have an H2, maybeyou shouldn't drive it near then end of the month when traffic cops are scrambling to make their numbers.

2. Scion tC

Seeing the tC on the most-ticketed list makes sense, given its popularity with young people. Its sporty performance, which comes at a price that makes affording tickets easy, probably helps tempt some drivers as well.

3. Scion xB

Like the Scion tC, the xB is aimed at younger drivers. Still, when you look at the xB's less-than-stellar performance, it's safe to assume that all the tickets xB drivers are getting aren't moving violations.

4. Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG

If you're lucky enough to have a Mercedes AMG -- any AMG -- then a few tickets are worth unleashing this luxurious beast. Besides, if you've got a Mercedes, you can probably afford a few traffic citations.

5. Toyota Solara Coupe

Now, here's a surprise. The fifth most ticketed car is the Toyota Solara Coupe. Essentially a two-door Camry, the Solara isn't known for road-thrashing performance. Maybe Solara drivers just get a lot of parking tickets.

6. Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG

The CLS63 AMG is another luxury performance car, so it's no shocker to see its drivers among the most ticketed. The question is: With all that power, why aren't more CLS63 AMG drivers outrunning the cops?

7. Scion xA

With the xA taking the seventh spot on the ten most ticketed cars list, Scion completes the traffic-ticket hat trick. Toyota's upstart little brand has only come out with four models over its entire lifespan -- and three of them will likely get you a date in traffic court.

8. Subaru Outback

Subarus have a reputation of being yuppie grocery getters, but the Outback manages to prove that stereotype wrong by being one of the top ten most ticketed cars. Apparently, the Outback is the car of choice for people who need to get to Whole Foods in a hurry, and maybe park illegally once they're there.

9. Audi A4

Audi often finds itself in the shadows of Mercedes and BMW, but not when it comes to getting tickets. The Audi A4 is the ninth most ticketed car in America.

10. Toyota Matrix

The Toyota Matrix is often credited for bringing SUV styling to small cars. Now it can also be credited to bringing insurance rate increases to thousands of its owners.

The top five least ticketed cars are:

1. Jaguar XJ

2. Chevrolet Suburban

3. Chevrolet Tahoe

4. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500

5. Buick Park Avenue

Full story at: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...ar-a-cop-magnet

Guest GaySacGuy

I would say in Thailand that the motorbikes win the prize for the most tickets...maybe pickups second.

I would like to see how the survey was done?? With so few of many of the models listed on the highway, they certainly couldn't have the most tickets in numbers. Perhaps it is a weighted survey??

Guest Astrrro

I prefer to set up my life so that a car/bike is not necessary. That means living in places where you can walk or there's good public transportation. Manhattan and Pattaya west of 3rd Road for me.

I know most people love their cars, different strokes I suppose.

I know most people love their cars, different strokes I suppose.

When I first started coming to Thailand, I thought as you do. There's plenty of public transportation, so I thought what do we need a motorbike for? Then, once we had one, I didn't know how we ever got along without it.

We started talking about a car when we had the motorbike. I thought what do we need a car for? Now that I have one, I don't know how I ever got along without it.

I like the convenience of having a car. It sure makes life easier when it rains. I makes life easier when I go shopping. It makes life easier when I want to go to places that are not on usual public transportation routes. If your life is not much more than the beach and the bars, then you really have no need for your own transportation. But if you ever do get your own transportation, it opens up a whole new world in Thailand. Whenever I hear people say things like the only reason to be in Thailand or Pattaya is for the sex, I would guess that many of those people don't have a car or rarely even try to do much else.

Something I love to do every so often is, just on a whim, to pack up a few days worth of clothes, get in the car, and just go. No plans at all and no worries about where I'll end up. You never know what you're going to find and I have never been disappointed. But I also know that without a car I never would have those kinds of experiences.

So, you're right. It isn't necessary to have a car, but when I think of what I would miss without it, that's when I'm very happy I have one.

Guest MonkeySee
So, you're right. It isn't necessary to have a car, but when I think of what I would miss without it, that's when I'm very happy I have one.

You do miss out on much of Thailand by not having your own transportation. I find the traffic in Bangkok and Pattaya so bad, that I stick to the public transportation system. Outside the congested area, I find it nice to rent a vehicle and see the sights.

Guest shebavon
I would say in Thailand that the motorbikes win the prize for the most tickets...maybe pickups second.

I don't think in Thailand it is the vehicle so much as the driver that gets the prize for the most tickets. The most likely causal agent here is clear, DRIVING WHILE FARANG! :D

Guest Astrrro
Something I love to do every so often is, just on a whim, to pack up a few days worth of clothes, get in the car, and just go. No plans at all and no worries about where I'll end up. You never know what you're going to find and I have never been disappointed. But I also know that without a car I never would have those kinds of experiences.

I have to admit I enjoyed numerous road trips in my youth.

New Yorker's tend to say, "I can always rent a car when I need one" but then we rarely wind up renting one.

I guess the truth is that i really can't afford a car so I like to think I don't need/want one. :D