Guest namjai

Health insurance in Thailand

Can any expat who has used health insurance in Thailand give me a synopsis of the procedure? Do you pay up front and wait for reinbursement from the insurer? Do you pay the deductable only and then have care?

Is it best to buy insurance from a Thai company or other country? Can you recommend a particular company?

Thanks for you input!

Guest PapaDavid

Can any expat who has used health insurance in Thailand give me a synopsis of the procedure? Do you pay up front and wait for reinbursement from the insurer? Do you pay the deductable only and then have care?

Is it best to buy insurance from a Thai company or other country? Can you recommend a particular company?

Thanks for you input!

I am not an expat but am a regular visitor. Can only give you my experience. Had 5 days in hospital, including xrays, blood transfusions and an endoscopy (at Sattahip Naval hospital some 30 Km away).

The total bill came to 59,000 Baht (after a 10% rebate for using my credit card!!). I had travel insurance with a UK company but had to pay the sum up front and claim back when I had returned to UK with all the (original) medical reports, bills for drugs and bill for hospital care and stay etc etc. The UK company would not accept photocopied or faxed bills. In the end they paid up in full with no problem within a week of me returning to UK and submitting the required documentation.

Was always led to believe that it was only advisable to use a Thai company if you intended to reside permanently in Thailand. (But others with more experience of this aspect may be able to advise you further).

Guest hajuthai

If you have a BUPA insurance, there should be no problem at a hospital.

Call Jack Levy, mob. nr 016242702 or e-mail, jackl@loxinfo.co.th

But also try AA insurance 038 415 795 direct@aainsure.net

BUPA in pattaya is just round corner from Pattaya North Road on Sukhumvit as you go to Bkk.

Very helpful staff and Donna is resident English nurse who will advise on any medical problems for best practise here. If Hospital on their list no pay if not you pay and claim after. Platinum 2 cover for 2million baht 49000 baht pa. also have web site do a search BUPA Thailand.

BUPA in pattaya is just round corner from Pattaya North Road on Sukhumvit as you go to Bkk.

Very helpful staff and Donna is resident English nurse who will advise on any medical problems for best practise here. If Hospital on their list no pay if not you pay and claim after. Platinum 2 cover for 2million baht 49000 baht pa. also have web site do a search BUPA Thailand.

Guest Oogleman

Touch wood i only needed medical attention once.

Went to Bumrungrad hospital BKK and the service was fabulous.

Had a nasty cold/chest infection which kept me in bed 3 days before i went to get help. Got seen by 2 nurses and 1 doctor - 3 drugs prescribed. Total cost 1200 baht. Was issued with a barcode card with my details for future use. Was so pleased it was so cheap i didnt even claim it from my insurance

Guest fountainhall

On this topic, I used to live in Japan and have a fabulous policy with a European company which gives worldwide cover for almost everything. But the premium is far too high when I now spend most of my time here in Thailand. I'd love to hook up with another company and lower premiums. But having hit 60, I know that any new policy can have tons of exclusions. Does anyone have any thoughts on finding a new insurer and a decently priced policy?

On this topic, I used to live in Japan and have a fabulous policy with a European company which gives worldwide cover for almost everything. But the premium is far too high when I now spend most of my time here in Thailand. I'd love to hook up with another company and lower premiums. But having hit 60, I know that any new policy can have tons of exclusions. Does anyone have any thoughts on finding a new insurer and a decently priced policy?

BUPA Thailand take you up to 65 and guarantee cover to 70 with existing conditions excluded of course as most will.