Latbear4blk

Argentine Queer Folklore

• Members

"Música folclórica argentina" predates Tango in the Argentine Music History's timeline. Unlike Tango, it represents the deep inner country and the most traditional cultural values. Although the folkloric movement embraced political progressive ideas, I had never heard of a switch on cultural values until recently.

You will need to use a translator, but I recommend you to read this article. It provides a general outlook of several very interesting queer developments. 

352243-web-legonqueen-11.jpg?itok=-hRzqB352243-web-legonqueen-17.jpg?itok=NveYnd

352243-lizandromoralejo-02.jpg?itok=1JJz

I cannot picture what a non South American brain sees in these pictures. When I saw these pictures and read this article, I was not able to see beauty, but felt an intense curiosity.

Then, I found this video:

Cosquín is the most important folkloric music festival in Argentina. Until now, it was the last shelter for "traditional family values". The fact that an artist like Ferni would have broken those boundaries was thrilling even before watching her performance. When I watched her performance, something strange happened.

There was a battle in my brain between those parts of me I have been demolishing for decades on one side, and on the other those parts of me I have been constructing for most of my life. 

When I hit play, at the beginning I was too distracted by her looks and her mannerisms. I could appreciate her singing a little bit, but the dinosaur in me who never ends to die would keep me judging. And then I closed my eyes.

Indeed, she is an exceptionally talented singer. This interpretation is personal, honest, and beautiful. She moves me. When I opened my eyes again, my prejudices were gone and I was able to fully appreciate her performance and the intentionality in some of her body language. I have always been moved to tears when I am listening to interpretations by artists like Atahualpa Yupanqui or Suma Paz, this is the first time that a new artists moves me.