Guest MonkeySee

Obama's Leadership?

Guest MonkeySee

Here are some quotes from the Republican opposition on Obama. I think Senator Graham has a point, in that Obama needs to cut out the negative crap about how bad the economy is and start talking how we are going to get out of this economic mess. We haven't had a leader for the last eight years, let's see how the next four years turn out.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Thursday that rather than showing leadership in steering the stimulus package through Congress, President Barack Obama is pushing the legislation by “trying to scare people.”

“The President is giving TV interviews rather than getting people together, and I am very disappointed,” Graham said in an interview on Fox News. “It’s a broken process, and the president, as far as I'm concerned has been AWOL in providing leadership.”

“I like President Obama, but he is not leading. Having lunch is not leading,” Graham continued. “Scaring people is not leadership...we have had enough President's trying to scare people.”

Guest shebavon

Graham has been, and continues to be nothing but a political hack. There he was yesterday theatrically waving a copy of the supposed huge bill. He didn't do that when Bush the idiot, proposed his stimulus which included no controls, and did not complain when Bush, Paulson, and Bernanke were warning that the bill had to be passed overnight.]

The repugnant republicans are just going to have to learn that they lost the election. Perhaps they should say thank you for having been offered a seat at the table, rather than trashing the process. When they held congress, they were not known for their generosity towards the Democratic minority.

Guest fountainhall
Graham has been, and continues to be nothing but a political hack

I have loathed the sight and sound of him ever since he was on the Judiciary Committee which ruled that Clinton should be impeached. Although he was the only republican to rule against one of the articles, he was still one of the prosecuting 'managers' during the actual impeachment process. I always feel he looks and acts like a little rat - and knows less about leadership than that piece of vermin!

Guest lvdkeyes

The republicans still have not gotten over that Nixon was forced to resign and they have been trying to get even ever since. That's over 30 years ago; it's time to get past it.

Obama has been President less than three weeks and already here come the Republicans to stand in his way. Maybe they have awfully short memories about whose policies put us in this financial mess in the first place. How long will it take these people to figure out that their policies don't exactly work? When will they figure out why they're being voted out of office?

So far, my personal favorite move Obama has made is setting limits on the amount of money the greedy corporate executives can help themselves to when they leave their positions or want to stage lavish trips and parties for themselves, all at the expense of the workers who lose their jobs and pensions, not to mention the fact that our tax money is what supports these bail-outs and lines their pockets. Thank you Republicans! Thank you very much! It's been good to see you. Now get lost!

Here I am, and I doubt I'm alone in this, trying to make ends meet and have to watch my tax dollars financing these greedy bastards so they can live in the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives. Somehow I bitterly resent that. I'm glad to see Obama putting a stop to it.

Guest GaySacGuy

Fact: THE REPUBLICANS LOST THE ELECTION BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKED UP!!!

Now, they want to put in more tax cuts and take out immediate spending measures. They can go piss up a rope. This whole bullshit goes clear back to Regan, who to me was one of the worse presidents, and an even worse governor of CA.

Obama, IMHO, should pass the bill he wants with the Democratic majority and a few repulicans in the Senate, and let the republicans hang out in the wind!!

As far as Graham's statement about being AWOL...when was the last time that Bush had Democrats in to the white house for legisalation, and when was the last time a Republican President went to the Hill and met with the Democratic Cacus???

Graham...kiss off!!!

Guest shebavon

You mean after 3 weeks the Obama administration has not yet ended the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression (also Republican created), 2 wars, nor walked on water?

What in hell have they been doing?

Guest MonkeySee

What Graham is doing is typical partisan politics. In our system, is seems it is something very difficult to get over. I admire Obama for reaching out to the republicans. Talking about what is best for the country, and not the party, is what these politicians forget sometimes. These are tough times and I hope both parties can hammer out a solution. Republicans may have a good idea in wanting more tax cuts. Kennedy did it in the 60's and it worked. Even though Obama can "walk on water," he may not have all the right answers.

Guest GaySacGuy

Barbara Boxer, the junior Senator from California had it right when on the Senate floor, she ask Graham why he hadn't been waving bills around and complaining about spending for the last eight years while the republicans got us into this mess. She said it was theatrical, and she wished he'd been as critical of some of George Bush's bills.

Guest shebavon

I am just finding it reassuring that one can now combine our President's name together with the word leadership in a positive sentence without me getting nauscious.

Guest shebavon

It's high time for the US of A to move to the left and accommodate a generations worth of change, before the right takes over again.

Now we can take women and gay rights to the next level.

Now we can take women and gay rights to the next level.

Appropriately enough, if you haven't seen the movie "Milk," then you ought to make a point of seeing it. It's a superb film. It's the story of Harvey Milk and gay rights. Sean Penn plays the lead and while I'm no great fan of his, in this movie he does a fantastic acting job. Unfortunately, many of the problems that exited in the 1970's still exist today and you can't blame today's problems on Hostess Twinkies.

Given the California marriage vote I wouldn't be that sure about taking gay rights to the next level.

I don't agree. It may not happen any time soon and it still may be a hell of a struggle getting there, but that day will come. The trouble is, by the time it does we'll all probably either be too old to enjoy it or we'll all be dead.

I think I'll stick with Thailand. There may be gay prejudice here too, but it certainly doesn't even begin to compare to the USA.

I think I'll stick with Thailand. There may be gay prejudice here too, but it certainly doesn't even begin to compare to the USA.

Listen if all I wanted was to live without gay prejudice I could pick several countries in Europe. Come-on--now GB, I think you are here because of the supply of young men, the relatively inexpensive cost, the wonderful climate and did I mention the young men? :lol:

Again, to get serious, I am jealous of Europe being so far ahead of the USA in gay rights. More and more we are looking like some backward religious country rather then the leading nation in the world.

Guest shebavon

Khor,

You must confess though, that it is the lighter degree of anti-Gay prejudice, that is largely responsible for the paradise we have chosen to live in. Does that factor in and account for the availability of young men? Surely. Is that availability not factored into why I chose to reside here, and say, not in Acapulco? Surely.

Was the fact that anti-Gay prejudice is less here than in Acapulco also factored into why I chose to reside here. Surely.

No need to fight guys.

I agree, I too am jealous of Europe, and within the US, I am jealous of the Northeast states on some issues, and the West coast on others.

Thankfully, the prevailing political headwinds are towards the Left, which should cover most of my pet issues.

Listen if all I wanted was to live without gay prejudice I could pick several countries in Europe. Come-on--now GB, I think you are here because of the supply of young men

That's you. That doesn't mean others, including me, necessarily think the same way you do. Certainly the 'supply' is a factor, an important factor, but it's not the only factor. I have many reasons why I choose Thailand to be where I want to live. I know you're kidding, but just in case you're not, what you think does not make it a fact. There is only one person who knows my personal motivations for being here . . . me.